2000 XLT expedition rehabilitation thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
got the new radio in.
FO1zE.jpg
everything went well there, except I cannot get any FM stations to come in. I'm guessing there is some problem with the antenna.

Made some progress with the electrical gremlins. The headlights now turn off with the switch. All I did there was remove the connector from the switch, plug it back in and it worked. Still going to pick up a replacement switch though, the knob comes off mine when you turn the fogs on.

Got the instrument cluster lights working too. That was just a blown fuse. Still cannot get the tail lights/running lights to work. I've got no tail lights, but the brake lights work. Reverse lights and license plate lights do not work. I've got no power to the pins in the trailer light socket. All fuses and relays seem to be good so I will have to dig further into it. Hopefully it's just a bad ground.

Wheel bearings/front hubs are due to arrive today and I will most likely install those sunday. Trying to get this thing ready for action before it gets much colder.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
did the front hubs today. Turns out my truck did have the 14mm studs, and I had ordered hubs with 12mm studs. Gotta be more careful about ordering parts in the future.

Because I got the 12mm stud hubs so cheap I wanted to make them work, so I picked up rotors and lug nuts for the 12mm hubs. Everything went together like factory and the truck does not grumble and groan down the road anymore. Both old hubs were toast and appeared to be factory original. Time will tell how the new hub bearings hold up but the truck drives like new for now. Installed new brake pads along with the new rotors as well, so the front axle should be good for awhile. Brake pedal feel improved after the new brakes and a bleed.

Also bought a new pair of front wipers for it. It's nice to be getting down to the last odds and ends. I am probably going to make a run to the local pick and pull yard tomorrow morning to get a few things. I am starting to wonder if I try a different headlight switch if the tail lights will come to life. That would sure be nice.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and geared up to make a junkyard run. Figured I would take the expedition now that it is safe to drive down the street. Loaded up my tools and an empty box for whatever I may find and noticed it was starting to rain a little. Decided to pop the new wiper blades on. Turns out you can grab the wiper arms on my truck and move them both wherever you want by hand. Great. They move together like they should but it seems they are not connected to the motor or the gears are stripped. On further investigation the wipers do not work when switched on. Another gremlin to fight with.

Ended up taking my car instead, wipers work on that thing. Went out to my favorite chain of local yards, Paul's in Westville, IN. They only had 3 first gen expys, all fairly well picked over. I took a pic of one.
Jktck.jpg

My junkyard wish list was:
interior rear view mirror
fuses/relays
headlight switch
front lower valence
owners manual
gray center console lid
clean rear bumper
wiper motor/transmission/ linkage

All I found was:
fuses/relays
interior rearview (pulled from a 97 explorer with auto dimming, not sure if it will even work yet)
wiper motor/transmission/linkage

Got the things I found for 50 bucks out the door so I feel like I did well. While I was gathering the parts I figured they would want 50 or so just for the wiper motor. Wish they had more expeditions there. I looked at all the expys and f150 trucks and every one was missing the headlight switch. I will be ordering that new here in a minute from amazon.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
ended up getting a motorcraft switch from amazon for 67 bucks shipped. More than I wanted to spend but the knob is falling off my old one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5BYI0

There are 3 or 4 different switches for our trucks depending how your truck is optioned so you have to make sure you get one that matches what you have.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
5jDzp.jpg

Pic of the things I got from the junkyard trip.

It seems my interior rear view mirror broke off with the button and the base of the mirror still attached to the glass. Probably happened when the airbags went off. Getting the base off is being a PITA. The mirror just popped right off the explorer earlier at the junkyard and appears to be the same base. The info I have found about removing this base from the button on the expy said to pry gently with a screwdriver at the bottom to release the clip. I tried that and put a tiny chip in my windshield, so that method is not going to work for me. It would be nice to have a rear view mirror but I dont want to end up replacing the windshield to get one.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
finally got that old mirror base off! Squirted it with a little PB blast and tried my own method of removal. If you look at the pic below you will see how it comes off. I pinched the spring down using needle nose pliers and used the base itself as a leverage point, rather than the glass. Popped right off.
EyPI9.jpg

I had to use the connector that came from the explorer to get this mirror running. Good thing I cut it off the explorer yesterday. Rather than cut and splice the wiring, I just slid the pins out of the expedition connector and arranged them in the explorer connector as needed. Looks factory to my eyes.
INlOB.jpg

I used this site for the mirror pin out.
http://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/413502-autolamp-dimmer-rearview-mirror-how-to.html I then used a multimeter to figure out which pin is which on the expedition. The only pins I found and used were 12V+ switched and ground in the existing harness to the mirror. The mirror is kind of old school 90's ford looking but I like it.

I did not wire the autolamp feature as described in that article. I have no desire to run wires all over the truck. My only concern was the mirror dimming. To make that work I had to jumper 12V+ switched from the expy to the 12V+ constant pin of the mirror. To do this I just used a small piece of wire and tucked the loop of the wire into the wire loom. Can't even see it. Now the mirror comes on when you turn the truck on at the ignition, and goes directly into auto dim mode. You can see the green LED lightly glowing.
DzdxZ.jpg

I like this mirror a lot. It has a button that allows you to manually dim the mirror which stays dark until you hit the button again, then it goes back into auto dim mode.

Pic of the mirror after hitting the manual dim button:
UmE83.jpg

It's raining pretty hard. If it lets up I am going to install the new wiper motor/transmission and continue my quest for tail lights.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
went out between rain showers and installed the new/used wiper motor setup.
2Fm2I.jpg

Below you can see the problem on the old one (top)
RgO0Z.jpg
The arm from the motor to the linkage had rusted and popped off the socket. I bet someone was too lazy to scrape the windows and it broke when the wipers were frozen to the glass.

Installed the replacement part and have fully functional wipers again. Perfect timing too, it started raining and I got to test them out.

My rear wiper has an issue I noticed though, it only travels about 1/3 of the way that it should, just wiping a little section of the rear glass. I'm guessing a new motor is needed out back too. Will save that for a future junkyard run.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
also, I found a 2-3" perfectly round hole in the firewall next to the brake booster. On the left of booster if you are facing the engine standing at the front of the truck. Anyone know what goes there or can look for me please? I'm guessing just a grommet/body plug is missing but want to make sure. It goes straight into the cabin so I need to fill it with something. Dont want cold air/road fumes coming in.