2001 5.4l Triton Engine Knocking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can do that as long as the crank isn't damaged, the rod cap isn't bent and you check clearances before buttoning it up. You'll need a good torque wrench to torque the cap.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it runs fine other that the knock. It may be a valve guide that split in half and is knocking up and down in the cylinder head. You did the plug check, then check exhaust leaks as suggested, then crank bearings as suggested. Beyond that everything else will cost money. If the a guide snapped it will sound just like an engine knock, your talking a head job.
Good luck

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Stick your head in the front wheel wells. It may be a exhaust leak at the manifold. You may have a cracked manifold or broken stud. Mine has a small leak in the front converter. Check them.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have that kind of money. Theres no easy fix?

About 165,000.

I know the “don’t have the money” feeling. It really sucks. How’s the oil pressure? From looking at the vids it looks like you have done a recent oil change? My oldest Son buys cars that have same type noise and 7 times out of 10 a fresh oil change has corrected the knock. Dirt and crud can cause the lifters or a lifter to malfunction that’s why I was asking about the oil change. Trying to think of a cheap fix you can do without using a bunch of money.

Last edited:

Mad Oshea

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may want to check the injector and coils. That will do it on a pause type ,Just to be on the safe side. Mine did that. 1st gen 5.4

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamp, Johnny Q ball might be in a pool table tourmanent like Minnesota Fats! What's your saying, **** their goes another Op!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess we will have to wait and see if he returns with an update. Sad fact is if he doesn't do anything about it, the engine will.

I would expect a huge decrease in performance and a massive increase in crankcase ventilation.

Any mechanical machine "talks" to those that are willing to listen.

trhymers

Reaction score
try a stethoscope on the catalytic converter. my pass side is knocking like crazy. banging on it with a rubber mallet you would hear a rattle also.

OP
OP
J

JonnyQball79

Reaction score
No I'm not gone. Just stressing and trying to find anything that will keep me from dropping the oil pan. :-( So after rechecking my plugs(hoping and praying), decided to check out the exhaust manifold. Found these two bolts broken off I think. I do not want to drop the oil pan.

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG