2001 Expedition Cruise Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2-Fly

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I have a 2001 Expedition XLT with a 4.6. I am having issues with the cruise control. It won’t engage. I have already changed the brake pressure switch and speed sensor. I have also tried the self diagnostic but the system remains unresponsive. The cruise control light only comes on one time when starting the truck and only lasts a second. I’ve read about some people claiming that when you press the on button and I believe the coast button at the same time , the horn will honk. I tried it myself today and it did just that. I think the next step would be to change the clockspring. Anyone got some advice?

OP
OP

2-Fly

Reaction score
The recall was the pressure switch . I changed that already. I also swapped the steering mounted controls with the ones in my econoline to check if the buttons were the issue. That didn’t work either.
Thanks anyway.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have to run through the switch button test fairly quickly to see the cruise light respond. Many failures of the control module itself. Is your horn working normal ? Try another cruise control module ( actuator ) off eBay before you go after the clockspring. They're only about $50 from the salvage yards.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2-Fly

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I already tried different ruise control buttons off of my econoline van and nothing. I also swapped the clockspring yesterday and still not working. By the way I had a really hard time connecting the new brown switch off of the new clockspring. The only other thing that I can think of after watching so many videos is that the servo is the issue. By the way I am not a auto mechanic. I am a carpenter or at least that is what they say. I have put a lot of time, money, and energy into this truck. Although I feel like giving up, I’m not going to. By the way , I tried the switch test but get no response. And the horn does honk when I press the on button and the coast button at the same time. It did that before I changed the clockspring and continues to do so now after replacing it. Is there a fuse in the box under the hood that I could check? And what and where is the control module?

Dadunn536

Reaction score
When I replaced my brake switch, i bought some off-brand part from O’Reilly. It was unreliable, so I replaced it with a Ford part. No problems since.

OP
OP

2-Fly

Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I replaced the brake pressure switch twice and both times with the motorcraft brand. I think it must be the servo or some other electrical issue. I’ll keep trying. Thank You again and Happy Thanksgiving to all my Ford enthusiasts.

dixondug1

Reaction score
There is an inline fuse under the brake fluid reservoir, this is the first thing to check. Don't know why nobody discusses this.

Junkyard Jack

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question but is the Cruise on? In my 98' I have to cut it on every time I drive the truck if I want the Cruise to work.