2003 5.4 Slow to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capone

Reaction score
My 2003 with 160k cranks for about ten seconds before it starts. If I turn the key to on, then off and then back to on it will fire right up. It runs fine once it starts. It has an engine code which I don't have the code for off the top of my head (I am at work) but I will get later and post. I am hoping, as is usually the case, that any problem I have is far from unique and somebody has some great insight for me.
Thanks,

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having to cycle the ignition switch usually indicates a loss of fuel pressure. Cycling the switch builds up pressure in the fuel rail and allows the engine to start.

There is a check valve in the fuel pump that is designed to maintain pressure along with each fuel injector. A failure at any one of these will let the fuel pressure bleed off.

With the mileage of your vehicle I would change the fuel pump and strainer after verifying that the fuel pressure is indeed dropping. You use a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail to accomplish that.

OP
OP
C

Capone

Reaction score
Thanks

I will probably just replace the pump anyways, if that is quite likely the problem and will probably need to be replaced either way, plus at 160k I don't want it to fail on my completely and a very inconvenient time. I know the pump is pumping fine, but it was obviously having fuel pressure issues after sitting.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are changing the pump yourself get a reputable brand, not a "one hung low' special from China. I haven't had issues with Bosch or Denso.

OP
OP
C

Capone

Reaction score
I tend to stick with reputable brands for most all of my parts, rather spend the extra then do it twice.