2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer, Keystone Premier 31bhpr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdox

Reaction score
Looking at buying a 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 with a factory tow package with trans and oil cooler to tow my Keystone Premier 31bhpr. Specs of the TT are Shipping Weight 6470, Carrying Capacity 1130 Hitch 780 Length 35' 4 Width 8' Height 10' 11. From what I understand the Expedition has a max tow capacity of 8600#'s and the TT will be 7600#'s if it was fully loaded to it's max carrying capacity. I will be using a WD hitch. Would there be an issue using the expedition to tow the TT? I know gas mileage will not be that great.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its not just the weight to worry about a 35' trailer is huge for the short wheel base of the expy and sway may not be controllable even with the WDH

IMHO that is way too much trailer to pull with an expy

Reaction score
I may be a bit late to the game but I tow a 31BHPR with a 2008 Expy EL. Granted, it has a longer wheel base than your 2003, but I also experienced sway with my Equalizer hitch. I switched to a Hensley Arrow and the sway was eliminated. The Hensley is not for the faint of wallet (about $2,200 for a rebuilt hitch with a lifetime warranty) but if you want to tow a long trailer with ANY SUV, that is pretty much your only safe option. PM me if you have questions.