2003 Expedition XLT auction project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Castaway

Reaction score
Hi forum members,

Just joined this site as I have recently bought an Expedition and have been seeking some info about it, as it's a project car - hopefully I can find answers here!

The car I bought at auction (govdeals) is a 2003 Expedition XLT Popular, 5.4L 4WD w/tow, 77,000 miles. I paid $3,900 for it.
YkQC6Qy.jpg
Y3XpCbt.jpg
nymub9A.jpg
TMlo6j7.jpg

As you can see it had some rusted rockers which I have since replaced, I paid 300 for new patch panels and myself and a friend cut out the old ones, welded them in, patched and painted. Cost me a total of about 600 (gave the friend 300 for the help) and took a weekend. The outside of the truck looks like new, not a scratch on it, and nary a rust bubble (now).

However, the body molding panels look faded. Has anyone ever painted these? If so, with what? Would SEM or Duplicolor vinyl paint work?

Another project the truck needs is interior work - it has the rubber floor and no center console. I can live with the lack of carpet (I actually prefer it) but the lack of console is killing me. I bought one from a scrap yard for 60 bucks (from a 2003 expy) - but it was tan, not grey like my vehicles interior. (my code says "FG", flint grey). I bought Duplicolor "charcoal gray", which is almost a perfect match color-wise. I tested it on the underside of the seat for a color match. I took apart the console since it was filthy, scrubbed it clean, used a good degreaser, and painted it with the vinyl paint, and it looks as good as new and matches the color perfectly.

But that was the easy part, now I have to get it wired it, and here I'm out of my league - the truck never had a center console, and I assume I have to get the missing wiring harness - only the scrap yard, when they pulled the part, hacked the wiring harness off, and my vehicle doesn't have that harness. Has anyone tried installing a console where none was present before? I looked up wiring diagrams on Autozone's web helper (| Repair Guides | AutoZone.com). Is it a matter of simply plugging in the missing harness into my consoles connector?

Another electrical problem is the passenger vent fan only runs on high, nothing on the lower settings (doesn't matter if it's set to heat/AC/or vent). It doesn't appear to be a fuse problem. Any ideas?

And about the rubber flooring, was this an option or carpet delete? Does anyone know what the cost difference would have been?

Thanks for reading my long introductory post.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome. You can paint the cladding. Several people here have. As for the rubber flooring, since you got it from a govt auction, it was probably a "police"/ ssv edition. which i believe came with the rubber flooring.

B

bedrck46

I know I am going to catch hell from "FordandPolaris" but anyway. LOL you may want to look into a

Ford workshop manual on DVD. Can be obtained from seller "morpheousking" on e-bay. Cost about $10.00 Much better than Clymer, Haynes or Chilton and also includes wiring diagrams

Don't waste your money on a Clymer, Haynes or Chilton Manual.
It is well worth the $10.00 just make sure you get the DVD for your year as the seller has different DVD's for different years

OP
OP
C

Castaway

Reaction score
Thanks, that site's extremely helpful.

I had in the meantime talked to a service rep who told me it wouldn't be feasible to install a factory console since the vehicle never had one, the main body wiring harness wouldn't have the connectors for it, and changing out the main body wiring harness is a very expensive and time-consuming project. So I'll just install an aftermarket console, or maybe look into installing a split bench seat from another type of truck. Having only the captains chairs and no center console looks bad and doesn't give you any storage options.

Any suggestions on that front?

I'm also in the market for a factory 17" wheel ford-logo center cap, if anyone has a spare. I'll upload a pic shortly of what I need.

Thanks again!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that site's extremely helpful.

I had in the meantime talked to a service rep who told me it wouldn't be feasible to install a factory console since the vehicle never had one, the main body wiring harness wouldn't have the connectors for it, and changing out the main body wiring harness is a very expensive and time-consuming project. So I'll just install an aftermarket console, or maybe look into installing a split bench seat from another type of truck. Having only the captains chairs and no center console looks bad and doesn't give you any storage options.

Any suggestions on that front?

I'm also in the market for a factory 17" wheel ford-logo center cap, if anyone has a spare. I'll upload a pic shortly of what I need.

Thanks again!

I don't have my truck here today - its in the shop but the only thing that my factory console has is the traction control switch and a convenience outlet. On the backside it has some air ducts and the rear ac controls, but if you wouldn't have to use them and the factory console would fit better.

Also you go to one of those pick a part salvage yards and pull the wiring harness from a wreck if you wanted to take the time to do it.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, if you don't have rear controls for heat/a.c. located somewhere because of the console delete, that's the only electronics in my console besides two accessory plugs in the front and one in the back. So if the truck was a basic model w/o rear a.c./heat, bolt the factory console in that you just painted, like Andy said, for the best fit. Wire in your own jacks by tapping into the fuse panel. You can get some fancier, led backlights combination lighter/USB jacks even from Wal-Mart.

Starman

Reaction score
How's this project coming along. I'm looking at doing the same thing with my SSV. Hope all is well.