2004 5.4L - Have I ruined my transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your fine,.. it was all coated in trans fluid. It was never 'dry' and degreased. Just keep plugging away.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My local trans/repair shop, has a 'cut-a-way' Powerglide on display, in the waiting room. You can see the inside and has no fluid. It is not rusted. I never heard of 'do it yourself' transmission rebuilding. Most mechanics, won't even mess with them. Special tools and training/experience is needed. The rebuild kit is not cheap. The 3 options are usually Professional rebuild, buy a new one or swap with one from a donor car. There are plenty of 4r100 in Ford trucks and vans. Good luck.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And that's why shops take advantage. A lot of our members here can tear down and rebuild a 4r100 or 6r75/80. It's just pulling apart case, replacing plates, and keeping track of where things go back. In this day and age of camera phones, and internet. It's not that tough. You'll need some snap ring pliers, and maybe a compression tool or 2. Make friends with the guy at tranny shop, he might let you borrow his. My buddy Danny does that all the time he's doing a new job. This forums all about encouraging others to jump in and do the job themselves. Most parts in a transmission only go back in one way. You do need a clean work bench, or a big cart. Other than that, a willing to do the job. Paying $2500.00 on up, here in Bay Area that number is $3500.00 on up for a crappy rebuild job, is foolish to me. But what do I know.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Valve bodies are intimidating to most people - all those squiggly passages. Add hydraulics to the mix and they are baffled.
My second job during high school was R & R transmissions. That is where I found how relaxing parts washing can be.....

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got finished with a tranny rebuild. No, you didn't ruin the transmission. There are some excellent videos on rebuilding the 4R70W online and if you do it yourself, you can get away with under $1000 to include a new torque converter. You need a lift and transmission jack, find a friend with a good garage. Check out the videos by transmissionbench.com. They are excellent.

tibwd

Reaction score
If you are doing a rebuild/refresh of your transmission, you should also look into SONNAX upgrades and parts for your job. For reasonable prices, their kits and upgrades will enhance performance and reliability over the factory or oem bits. Definitely worth checking out .... good luck

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamp, the hardest part for me in my transmission class in school, was not so much the taking apart/putting all back, but describing the theory of vortex flow, and all the other junk, to the teacher. For our members here that don't want to [emoji205] around with small springs and ball bearings in the valve body, they can buy that part remanned. Problem is you've got to hope the guy rebuilding it, didn't get distracted, or have a small part go ka pling across the shop.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"All the other junk" is how I get my entertainment with the crop of millennials that sign up for my intro class. If you don't fully understand how something works you are no more than a parts ******.

Did you know you can connect a relay the wrong way and it turns into a buzzer? The look on their faces is priceless when it happens. And the great amount of help I give them is "no buzzers in this lab, find it & fix it".

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can pretend their on a game show, your the host, and the buzzer went off because they didn't answer in the form of a question in time! You'd be like Pat Sajak. If you could get an assistant that looked like Vanna White, your class would be booked solid for 3 years straight.