2004 Expedition Liftgate door/lock problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordgirl2004

Reaction score
Hello,

My rear liftgate/tailgate door isn't opening, I don't hear it unlocking.

No accidents/never been hit in the rear, never had an issue with it and it's always worked fine. My battery recently died & I had to replace it, my truck starts, all the driver & passenger doors all lock/unlock, but now the liftgate lock doesn't want to unlock anymore. I used to hear it unlock/lock, but now don't hear anything click over. I can open the liftgate window, but when I pull on the handle to open the liftgate door, nothing happens.

If anyone can help me resolve this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Plati

Reaction score
This might not help but anyway … years ago could not get my rear liftgate open. I found the video below but it was winter and I delayed getting to it. So after a few months of not thinking about it … one day I wanted to take garbage to the dump, forgot about it being broken, and proceeded to open it and put garbage cans in the back. I was walking back to garage and said "wait a minute!!". Its worked ever since. No idea what the deal was.

Not sure if this video is related to your situation but I had it in my files

Here's a Forum thread with other info
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/rear-hatch-wont-open-not-cable.23661/

Last edited:

haf8371

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 05' Expedition. I found this video with the Gen2 Expedition. I have not repaired mine yet. Hope this helps.

ricepattytx

Reaction score
Did you ever find out if this was related to the battery replacement? I just had the same thing happen to me. Battery died, replaced it, then the liftgate wouldn't unlock with remote. Took the back panel off and can lock and unlock it by shifting the white plastic piece with my hand but can not get it to work with the remote. Cable appears fine.

haf8371

Reaction score
Ricepattytx,

My issue was not related to the battery. My issue was failure of the locking mechanism itself. Once I replaced the lock it worked perfectly. I watched the video multiple times until I felt comfortable to do the repairs. I followed the instructions and I was able to fix it within 20 mins.

Reaction score
Ricepattytx,

My issue was not related to the battery. My issue was failure of the locking mechanism itself. Once I replaced the lock it worked perfectly. I watched the video multiple times until I felt comfortable to do the repairs. I followed the instructions and I was able to fix it within 20 mins.

I just came into this same issue myself. Did you replace yours with a new or used assembly? I’ve been trying to locate a new one but finding them hard to come by. Fordpartsgiant.com says they’re discontinued and no longer available.

my assembly
73D511A2-2E5C-456A-B393-A55A1479EF6F.jpeg

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to replace this when my liftgate was not opening. Sort of a pain to install, but got it done. It's the catch for the wire that opens it.

jzM2WJH57_1ZGPSbXw195SCPdkX1L5p65VIqjMUicJF_MPTdcVd2KK4imBqssh5FwjRYKeiWVLkT3YTCLl0zusO5iUW1QT6L-txSWv4Q3TQxpZtPXmUo5P7oZ1M_J9neYzQMFPgrwSTv5NpheNIOkC54b-v3dvncXkbLIFSZGvsazx3zAYyh0Cbi_eGTTF-FXwU0OdJnZS2JZdT1mvgWgXDR5yPe_gNPt_S_OUeG5dqqMJOC9XykShhQ2aPAe0Qb2g4BQu3-smoHoAK3SbAZrPi2c1T6WSMd0QDcDRk9dagEK_C_Drd5OCMkufdGzO-R_Vs3GLFAdcGups4kzeCXSBsWXRrn8cMxYrAC_pP8fgxp6EJ6jvbABkaqQ74vMiDuOSTCBAEDWAdSXFhdd6GZVi3JKI38QFIuet54ivKg_YL9C_eZbawIvSbsVNJZWOYbLFLnrkawPovhO9-6e5fUjc1Vi2jet6o4m2OK4KLTEyDse0vKkzw-TA-hvLDybnI_IqMDC99F1-_D5aYC1QglKW4XmH41jZrYqpuVUTyQhkADCVM80i-zdLlUhjvlZtVOgDkkDriKELArJxhJ5YvrhB4kVjoP7XilOmH335_IoRPQjHoAA0qk2K7OD6sDx3H3YM3mF_cZTgvvJWV-x6Y6ogHuO1U2_1lZZ39rfSizJzlq9pasrBmZPTzL=w536-h952-no