Rear Hatch Won't Open (Not Cable)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sensfan32

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just joined the forum mainly because I'm having a problem I can't find anywhere. My rear hatch will not open. I tore the back panel off while it was closed to get to the lock actuator and cable. Both are fine. I thought it was a bad lock actuator and got a second one from a junk yard, nothing.

Either both of the actuators are bad or there is another problem.
-Checked fuses
-Checked Cable
-Checked that there was power to the connectors

Edit: It is a 2004 expedition XLT, also when I would hit unlock with the remote or in the vehicle I could tell it was not unlocking in the hatch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Matt

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

Being you just Joined the forum It would be nice if you stated the year etc of your expy. That helps so people would know what to suggest or if you need prints I could possible post for you

B

bedrck46

Power Liftgate Initialization
NOTE: If the power liftgate system is turned OFF in the message center, the system cannot be activated with any switches or with the liftgate handle. The system will need to be turned ON for any power operation to occur.

NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate under the following conditions:

a low voltage or dead battery.
a disconnected battery
a power liftgate that has been left open for more than six hours.
a power liftgate that has been manually closed and left ajar.
If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reset.

Manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.
NOTE: If the power liftgate does not open during this step, refer to the symptom chart to diagnose the power liftgate for no operation.

Power open the power liftgate by using the keyfob or overhead console switch.
Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the keyfob or overhead console switch.

OP
OP
S

sensfan32

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replies, I added the year in the first post with additional info. Also I do not have a message center and when you say 'power' liftgate does this mean it opens by itself with a button? If so mine is manual.

B

bedrck46

No communication with power liftgate module
BJB fuse 5 (7.5A).
Circuitry.
Power liftgate module

The power liftgate does not operate — using the keyless entry remote transmitter
Keyless entry remote transmitter.
Batteries.
Power liftgate module.
Vehicle security module

The power liftgate does not operate/does not operate correctly
BJB fuse 105 (30A).
Circuitry.
Liftgate control switch.
Power liftgate module.
Pinch strip switches.
Forkbolt/detent switch.
Home position switch.
Liftgate drive motor assembly.
Cinching actuator motor.
Unlatch actuator motor.
Glass position switch.
Liftgate optical sensor and encoder wheel.

The power liftgate does not operate — liftgate close chime
Circuitry.
Liftgate close chime.
Power liftgate module

B

bedrck46

you say you checked fuses and power.

Disconnect the connector to the actuator and check for 12 volts to that connector and try to unlock the liftgate.

OP
OP
S

sensfan32

Reaction score
Should it be a constant 12v or 12 volts when you hit the button. When I probed it a few days ago it was dead until I hit lock or unlock then it would spike quickly

B

bedrck46

it would only have voltage when you press the button but it need a full 12 volts What you could try it to put 12 volts to the actuator and then reverse the leads to see if it opens or closes Don't leave the voltage on there to long But that way you will know you have a steady 12 V If you had 12 V and nothing happen then I would say you have a bad actuator