2006 Factory Roof Rack Rails Mounting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowhunter

Reaction score
I have searched and searched and can not find an answer.

I am trying to find out how my factory roof rails are secured to the roof. Obviously there are bolts passing through the rails and the roof but how are they secured? Are there nuts attached to the roof? Pem nuts? Some other method of holding them in place? Do I have to remove the headliner to access the nuts? Bonus points if you can tell me the thread size and any other helpful info.

Thanks!

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you trying to take it off completely? I have a yakima roof rack and while it was a long time ago I think I swapped out the bars from the stock ones. I know there is a lever you lift up to adjust the stock ones, I believe the bold is under the lever if you want to take them off.

Dix_

Reaction score
They're a "rivet-type" captured nut.... no headliner removal required.... unless you're unlucky enough to need to.

Nav Roof Rack Nuts.jpg

OP
OP
Snowhunter

Snowhunter

Reaction score
Are you trying to take it off completely? I have a yakima roof rack and while it was a long time ago I think I swapped out the bars from the stock ones. I know there is a lever you lift up to adjust the stock ones, I believe the bold is under the lever if you want to take them off.

Thanks.
Not trying to remove but rather replace with Rhino Rack Backbone rails. No kit exists for our trucks but I'm exploring my modification options.

Dix_

Reaction score
Well.... it's allegedly good for up to 200 lbs.... personally, I think that's a bit of a stretch.

I wouldn't want to bet my life on it... even though I'm under that limit. :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
Snowhunter

Snowhunter

Reaction score
Well.... it's allegedly good for up to 200 lbs.... personally, I think that's a bit of a stretch.

I wouldn't want to bet my life on it... even though I'm under that limit. :Big Laugh:

Yes, I am very concerned about the load capacity. I'm thinking that there has to be a way to improve on that.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are called Wellnuts and can be purchased in a good hardware store.
When removed, you can actually push through to the headlining, so it's just a simple hole drilled or punched through the roof at the factory. FYI, My first Expy was a '97 with the sliding track type roof rack. I had purchased Thule accessories for it to carry kyacks, skis etc. When I learned it was held by the wellnuts, I was able to detach and keep it when I sold the vehicle. The new owner didn't need it. I got an '05 second gen that had some cheep factory rack that was useless unless you spent at least another $80 for the factory crossbars that were only an option by then. Since even with those, none of my Thule accessories would fit, I removed the rack and found out that all the holes in the roof were in the same position as the older Expedition and the old rack would fit without drilling new holes. This might be because the second generation, 2003 - 2006 had the old rail style rack of the first gen until my year, 2005. So you might want to find one of those in a junkyard.
Stephen

OP
OP
Snowhunter

Snowhunter

Reaction score
They are called Wellnuts and can be purchased in a good hardware store.
When removed, you can actually push through to the headlining, so it's just a simple hole drilled or punched through the roof at the factory. FYI, My first Expy was a '97 with the sliding track type roof rack. I had purchased Thule accessories for it to carry kyacks, skis etc. When I learned it was held by the wellnuts, I was able to detach and keep it when I sold the vehicle. The new owner didn't need it. I got an '05 second gen that had some cheep factory rack that was useless unless you spent at least another $80 for the factory crossbars that were only an option by then. Since even with those, none of my Thule accessories would fit, I removed the rack and found out that all the holes in the roof were in the same position as the older Expedition and the old rack would fit without drilling new holes. This might be because the second generation, 2003 - 2006 had the old rail style rack of the first gen until my year, 2005. So you might want to find one of those in a junkyard.
Stephen
Thanks darmahsd! (Sorry for the late response)
That's all good info.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni