2006 XLT 125k Timing Chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parhelion

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Mike. My family has a 2006 Expy XLT approaching 125k miles. Original everything except plugs @ 100k. I service it regularly at my dealer (sue me, I love them).

The last time it was in for service, the tech noted some noise from the timing chains. I have read on social media that the timing chains on this 5.4 Triton need early maintenance. What is the community's thoughts? Can I wait 12 months to replace the timing chains? It will take me 3 months to come up with the $3500 to do the chains anyway. Should I be treating this more urgently?

Mike

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you do the work yourself? For $3500 you can almost get a remanufactured engine... Most shops would be less than 1/2 that to do rhe job. I have a whole set of gears, chains, guides, etc if you need a set...would sell them cheap!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with using a dealer if you have a good one. For 3,500 I hope they are doing camphasers and tensioners/ guides as well if not that is a rip off. You are probably fine to wait as long as it’s not slapping around in there. Also make sure it’s really making noise. Price they quoted you is on the high side be aware, and if they aren’t including phasers I wouldn’t consider them.

OP
OP
Parhelion

Parhelion

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate it. To be honest the tech says the chains are noisy, and that's literally it. I am not trained enough to know what a noisy chain sounds like. I've left a message to get details on what the $3,500 includes (cam phasers, guides, etc.). Like you all said, if just the timing chains then I'll find another way to get it done. I certainly can't do it myself, and finding a good independent shop I can trust is hard since I trust no one these days.

Appreciate the offer on affordable parts, I'll keep it in mind as I figure this out!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah their was a couple of members in the Sacramento area that complained of the poor workmanship of independent shops up there. That's a shame theirs so many. You might check with the better business bureau if you do go independent, for the better recommendation. The problem on 05-10 Expeditions besides premature wear on the guides that the chains ride against, is the cam phasers that advance, and retard the valve timing. At this point I'd keep an ear on the front half of motor, and listen for any clattering sound. In particular if it gets louder. Keep the oil clean, no more than 5k between changes.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Parhelion

Parhelion

Reaction score
Thanks. I've decided to take it to the dealer and get it all taken care of. This will set me back, but Lord knows I can't afford the alternative -- a dead Expedition.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While its apart and they are into the engine I would also have them do the oil pump since it is an intricate part of the timing chain tensioner system and do the plugs since they are the 2 piece design and a PITA.

OP
OP
Parhelion

Parhelion

Reaction score
Thanks John. Plugs are good (< 25k mi.) for now. I'm researching the need to replace cam phasers. Any advice is welcome.