2007 EL with high miles, experiencing possible cam phaser issue. lack of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddubbs420

Reaction score
i have an 07 EL and had to change the plugs and coils due to it chugging and misfiring at higher RPMs and after that I still had a sluggish performance. turned out my cat converters were clogged. Changed the fuel filter too. Now she runs like a champ.

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have an 07 EL and had to change the plugs and coils due to it chugging and misfiring at higher RPMs and after that I still had a sluggish performance. turned out my cat converters were clogged. Changed the fuel filter too. Now she runs like a champ.

Thanks, I will have to take a look at this. Did you gut the converters or remove them all together?

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
two separate occasions today at start up, i heard a tremendous amounts of rattling in engine. After a few seconds of clatter, the sound went away. On the second time it happened, the check engine light went on. I checked codes and got a P0345.

Crang94

Reaction score
Poor performance / sluggish

I have an 07 that was experiencing similar issues. Noisy startup and ticking under load and an occasional hesitation. 180000km I replaced the plugs but didn't expect this to resolve the issue.
My solution is twofold: MAF sensor, as diagnosed by ford. I tried cleaning it but it ran 100 times better when it was changed.
Next, I only just found that my #8 cyl (pass side at firewall) is leaking exhaust at the manifold. Also the heat shields on not sides were completely loose and rattling around. I could see the gasket was bent from looking through the week well but no sign of trouble until I looked underneath.

This is my to do list so I'm looking for advice on the replacement of the manifolds.

The MAF sensor wasn't too expensive and not a ford OEM part.
Also I don't think these 3V engines have EGR or phasers anymore due to VVT, but I could be wrong.
Good luck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am starting to wonder if its a cam phaser issue. I hear constant ticking. The ticking increases with RPM.

I am somewhat unsure of what I want to do. If the cam phasers are bad, then these should be replaced. However, I dont believe that my initial clatter is the phaser but maybe chain tensioners. So between the phasers and timing chain and tensioner replacement, I am looking at $1000 worth of parts. Assuming I were to go this route, I am thinking that this may not be a wise investment on a 195,000 mile engine.

nauti1

Reaction score
The rattle you hear on start up is the hydraulic timing chain tensioners. The seal start to go bad and bleed off pressure, it's just like starting up after a oil change. The lack of power is your cam phasers locked in full advance, that's why you don't have power until the upper end of your rpms, they are not returning to low rpm settings. The ticking sound is also the cam phasers, they will get loud enough to where it will sound like a diesel idling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rattle you hear on start up is the hydraulic timing chain tensioners. The seal start to go bad and bleed off pressure, it's just like starting up after a oil change. The lack of power is your cam phasers locked in full advance, that's why you don't have power until the upper end of your rpms, they are not returning to low rpm settings. The ticking sound is also the cam phasers, they will get loud enough to where it will sound like a diesel idling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's too bad that these tensioners cannot be replaced without removing the timing cover. If I have to replace these, I might as well take the cover off an do replace both sides along with the phaser at that point. The rattle is quite concerning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1