2007 Ford Expedition EL Check Engine Light Blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birdyismydog

Reaction score
2007 Ford Expedition EL Check Engine Light Blinking

Hello,

Issue:
-Live in Ohio, mild winter, little balmy at times.
-Did not drive truck for two weeks.
-Drove .25 mile and Check Engine Light comes on...starts blinking like crazy..truck runs horrible...turned around and drove home
-Added fuel treatment
-Let truck idle for 10 mins...issue did not go away

Wanted to know thoughts on plugs, coil packs, and spark plugs.
- need recommendation on aftermarket versus OEM coil packs
- 121k miles ..replaced plugs at 55k..
- ??? replace all coil packs at once?

Let me know your feedback.

Thanks

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you get it to an Advance/Auto Zone to have it scanned? If not, perhaps you can pick up a cheap scanner. In any case, getting the code(s) is the place to start.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A flashing CEL usually means a severe misfire. I would not drive around like this, a misfire can dump unburned fuel into the cats and will kill them if not corrected. Try and get it scanned ASAP. The codes should point you to which cylinder(s) are having an issue.

If only one or two cylinders try swapping COPs with good cylinders and scan again to see if the problem follows. If so it is a most likely a spark plug, boot/connector, or COP. If not I would look towards an injector issue next.

Personally I wouldn't change out all the COPs if only one or two are bad, if that is even the problem. With 70k on the plugs it's probably time for a change and I would replace the spring connectors/boots as well. While the factory COPs do occasionally fail they are more reliable then most replacements from the auto parts store. IMHO in this case don't fix what isn't broken.

Last edited:

tavern89

Reaction score
I am having the same exact issue on a 2007 limited EL that i just purchased from Ford dealer with 92k miles . Drove it off lot and 24 hrs later check engine light came on. Took it to oreillys and they pulled the codes and its cylinder 1 and 3 that are misfiring .

Question 1 : I'm thinking I should just replace all 8 coil packs and 8 spark plugs. OEM spark plugs and then maybe a GOOD aftermarket coil pack ?

Question 2 : If you buy a new coil pack does that include the boot/spring or is that a separate part ? If it is a separate part is that easy to change out and should attempt 1st on the 6 others that aren't pulling a code .

NOTE : My mechanic of 10 years just fell off the face of the earth so im scrambling around to find a new one and doing the leg work right now.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normally new coils come with the boot and spring.
You can also but just the boot and spring.
When you install put some dielectric grease on the wire and inside of the boot.
Also use some on the connector contacts for the coils.

69charged

Reaction score
Definitely listen about the flashing light! This just happened to me on my 08. I just bought it, knowing it had a misfire. The previous owner had to get a pile of work done, including a new passenger side cat. After they left the shop it wasn't running on the 2 front passenger side cylinders. It was a Friday and the shop closed, so they drove it home, about 30 Kms away. I came to get it and they said it wasn't running right. After driving it for about 3 kms, I knew by pulling the coil wires off, it was those cylinders. The next morning I drove it to the Ford dealer, they scanned it and found the previous shop broke those 2 plugs. Changed them, and all was ok. Drove a 1000 kms home, and the check engine light came on. Scanned it and it was a efficiency code for the passenger side cat. Toast! After that far of driving. A total of about 50 kms of driving with the 2 cylinders not firing and dumping fuel into the cat fried it. So there goes another 1000 bucks.
I asked the Ford dealer if that's possible, and he said yes absolutely. If the check engine light starts blinking, it means irreparable damage is being done. According to him, you MUST pull over and have it towed.
Sorry for the long story!
Clarence

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A flashing check engine light is a more serious code from the computer. It's usually electrical. I agree with the other guys, you have to scan it first. Don't just start throwing parts at it . Years back one of our crown Vic taxi cabs had a flashing cel. It bucked like a horse above 40 mph. Turned out to be as simple as swapping out one cop. Don't fret, it might be something simple. After repairs, you or a mechanic can check catalytic converters. Check one of the recent threads how to do that. Good luck, post results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

birdyismydog

Reaction score
Problem solved. I went to Advance Auto to get codes pulled. Major misfire on #8. Next stop was local mechanic. Bought 8 Accel Coil packs from Jegs for $209 and the mechanic got Motorcraft plugs. His labor and plugs cost $240. $449 + tax. Run great now. Just did not want to wait for next pack to go bad and truck was due for plugs. No broken plugs at 120k+ miles since had the plugs changed at 55k (old factory broken plug design...replaced with new design and coated with anti-seaze).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great to hear! Theirs a Christmas present you really wanted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk