2007 Ford Expedition has a ghost somewhere.. Please help??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris2888

Reaction score
So I have the craziest question and want to see if anyone has experienced this. I have a 2007 Ford Expedition EL Limited 4x4. My wife and I purchased about 2 years ago.

Well back last Oct we jumped in, put the key in and all the lights came on, seat pulled up and turned the key and nothing happened. Car never turned over, started or anything.

So I kept checking the transmission in park etc. Well after about 20 mins and fiddling with it, bam put the key in and it started no prob.

Well over the past 9 months this has gone on about 2 times a month. We might start it 20-40 times and it works perfectly, then all of a sudden is strands us. Its consistent for about 15-25 mins every single time.

This is hard to track down, because it is intermittent and no one can check it. I have had the dealer and mechanic friend and nothing. Its really aggravating as at this point I just want it to break so we can get it fixed.

Well this week it did this for like an hour, had to get the vehicle towed to Ford, backed it off the truck and started right up like nothing. Crap!!!

Here is what I have done thus far...

Replaced the battery- Feared it was a dead cell.
Did it once at home - So i got under and took a screw driver off the starter solenoid and it sparked and turned over. No crank
Purchased an ignition switch today - Have not put it in yet.

Here are my possible thoughts -
1. Starter and or Solenoid going bad
2. Ignition Switch going out
3. Neutral safety switch going out
4. Las but not least, a bad PCM/ECM module
5. Maybe a PATs theft issue?

I am about to start tossing these parts at it to fix. This is soooo aggravating. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything else it could be?

I dont know what to do?

Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
I have not tried using a voltmeter on this yet. Where would I start? The starter/Solenoid? Netural switch looking for continuity?

Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Control side of the starter solenoid the next time it acts up. You should have 12v on the small wire that connects to the solenoid when the ignition switch is in "start".

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not tried using a voltmeter on this yet. Where would I start? The starter/Solenoid? Netural switch looking for continuity?

Thanks

The next time this happens, leave the key in the unlocked position and shift the automatic transmission selector level to the neutral position - then see if the vehicle will start. If so, the problem lies with the neutral safety switch.

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
I will try this with the starter the next time. Just put my voltmeter in the vehicle.

99 White- I have when it acted up I have tried twice to put it in neutral and start. Same thing with no luck.

Could it still be the switch?

Also- It seems to do it worse when the temperature is hotter outside. Weird, coincidence I dont know, but it seems that way.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use your meter to determine what failed, then you will know the cause instead of taking a guess at what it is.

Can you read and follow wiring diagrams - trace circuits?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will try this with the starter the next time. Just put my voltmeter in the vehicle.

99 White- I have when it acted up I have tried twice to put it in neutral and start. Same thing with no luck.

Could it still be the switch?

Also- It seems to do it worse when the temperature is hotter outside. Weird, coincidence I dont know, but it seems that way.

I have seen neutral safety switches that failed that would only start the vehicle when in neutral - and switches that would allow the car to start when placed in neutral and "wiggled".

I own a 2015 Expedition Limited and am not familiar with your year model neutral switch.

Do you have a brake switch interlock that prevents the engine start unless your foot is on the brake? If so, that can also cause no-start problems.

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
When it acted up last week I did put it in N and tried to start as well. Nothing happened just as it was in park.

I have my Voltmeter and will test the starter next time. The neutral safety switch was something I was looking at replacing. Also, I tried to find under the dash the linkage adjustment for this to see if it got loose, but my model doesnt have the #30 torque bolts to adjust.

My brake pedal I would think doesnt affect it because my vehicle will start without the brake pedal having to be pushed.

Boy this is a headache for sure.

Thanks for all the help. I actually want it to break for good so I can find it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday