2008 Expedition Coolant Color-Change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2008COExpi

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I bought a 2008 last year with 105k, not 114k. Everything has gone well, no major issues. The coolant reservoir has always been at the correct level and still is. Today was the first day I actually shined a light into and discovered that the coolant is orange even though the sticker says "no orange, only yellow". Should I immediately flush and replace with yellow?

NobodySpecial

Reaction score
Being a 2008, I believe Motorcraft Gold (or the equivalent coolant Zerex G 05) is the correct antifreeze for that model. At the time of purchasing the vehicle, if the dealer never disclosed with you if the coolant was changed, or if they were never specific on what brand/color coolant was used; you might be better off getting a full flush and fill. Just my .02.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct, the Ford recommended coolant is Motorcraft Gold for that year. It was switched to Motorcraft Orange a few years later. If it has orange now, it's probably not the end of the world but if it were mine, I'd flush it out and re-fill with the Gold