2010 Expi EL Limited Transmission and Cruise control issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting - I have a 2011 and thought I read that you could disconnect the battery to reset it. Definitely let us know.

For what it's worth - I tested putting my transmission in Neutral while coasting to a stoplight - flat surface. The RPMs didn't decrease until I came to a stop. I'm assuming this is so if you were to put it back in to drive, the RPMs would be where they needed to be for the transmission to go back in to gear. Kind of like what would happen when you have a manual but you rev up to where the gear you are going for would require.

OP
OP
W

Woodie

Reaction score
OK, quick update

Just back from dealership. They ran diagnostics, no trouble reported. Drove the truck about 40 miles, up and down hills, etc. Verified what I was reporting was in fact happening. Ford Technical support looking at results now. The dealership did not want to reflash the transmission without understanding what might be causing the issue so I picked up the truck.

Service manager at the dealership explained what they did and said they would call me when they hear back from Ford Tech Support.

All in all, the dealership was fine, they were helpful, asked lots of questions and actually spent some time driving the truck to identify the cause. I also understand their reluctance to 'shotgun' a solution.

So, now we wait.....

Woodie

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A quick update for those interested. Thanks to Todd (FordCustSrvc) here on this forum and Tami, a Ford Customer Service Manager, in cooperation with the dealership I was originally going to go to, they have arranged for me to use a different dealership (closer) that actually has some hills nearby they can test the cruise control issues while driving. The original dealership had no hills at all near them. This was all triggered thru 'Ford' with no requests or input from me. Tami conferenced me in with the Service Manager of the nearer dealership and they both quickly set up a new time for me to take the truck in next week. No hassle, no dodging......

I know we all like to bash a dealer/service organization for not listening, being stubborn, etc, but in this case I have to acknowledge Ford for being pro-active on this situation. I will admit I was getting myself all mentally set for a 'hassle' when I took the truck in next week, but I really do appreciate the pro-active approach that has been taken so far. It may still be a problem beyond a simple visit/test but at least I feel like I am working with a company that is actually trying to help the customer.

Thanks Todd, Tami and Ford, I will keep everyone posted.

Woodie
2010 Expediton EL Limited 5.4L 2WD

OK, quick update

Just back from dealership. They ran diagnostics, no trouble reported. Drove the truck about 40 miles, up and down hills, etc. Verified what I was reporting was in fact happening. Ford Technical support looking at results now. The dealership did not want to reflash the transmission without understanding what might be causing the issue so I picked up the truck.

Service manager at the dealership explained what they did and said they would call me when they hear back from Ford Tech Support.

All in all, the dealership was fine, they were helpful, asked lots of questions and actually spent some time driving the truck to identify the cause. I also understand their reluctance to 'shotgun' a solution.

So, now we wait.....

Woodie
Thanks for the update, Woodie.

We are glad to read about your positive feedback as a Ford Family member. :smile:

Please continue to keep us posted and Have a wonderful day!

Tricia

OP
OP
W

Woodie

Reaction score
Another update

Ford Tech Support contacted the dealership recommending reflashing the transmission computer. Basically, resetting everything to 'new' and starting from there. Appointment for reflash is Tue, Oct 14

Woodie

OP
OP
W

Woodie

Reaction score
Dealership reflashed 'everything' yesterday. When I drove away, my Expi thought it had just rolled off the factory assembly line.... :favorites37:

I did some tests up and down the long hills between the dealership and home. First impression is there is an improvement. Still exhibits some of the initial symptoms but all in all it 'feels like' it is better. Further driving and letting the car adjust to my driving etc might show more improvement.

All in all, I think it is better. It is definitely different than when I took it into the dealership.

What was supposed to be a 2 hour appointment turned out to be 3.5 hours but the dealership has a nice customer service lounge with coffee and hot chocolate... ;-)

Woodie

OP
OP
W

Woodie

Reaction score
OK, last post on this issue. I have now driven the Expi several days in different driving conditions. Overall, the transmission shifts more 'as expected', sometimes it is a bit strange, but nothing to get upset over. Cruise control in flatter terrain is just fine. Still seems to shift a bit late but nothing I would consider 'broken'. I appears the 'late shift' approach is an averaging technique to stay in as high a gear for as long as possible to increase mileage. I do notice that if you get into a rolling hill area, the transmission will begin to shift sooner after short down hill then another uphill quickly but if you run along for a while on flat terrain, then hit a hill, it goes back to 'late shift'.

However, the cruise control problem of not resuming the set speed after a long downhill is still there. I have a long down hill section I drive quite often and the speed at the bottom of the hill will drop well below the set speed, then hold at about 5-6 mph less than the set speed for quite a distance, often more than a half mile, then gradually accelerate back to the set speed. I have tried hitting 'resume' at the bottom of the long hill and that makes no difference. Ford techs say this is 'normal' but I find that a bit hard to buy. The good news is, most other things are just fine now and I can live with this small issue. If you know it is there, you just reset the speed at the bottom of the hill.

All in all, I am pleased with the service I received and the follow up from Ford Customer Service.

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, last post on this issue. I have now driven the Expi several days in different driving conditions. Overall, the transmission shifts more 'as expected', sometimes it is a bit strange, but nothing to get upset over. Cruise control in flatter terrain is just fine. Still seems to shift a bit late but nothing I would consider 'broken'. I appears the 'late shift' approach is an averaging technique to stay in as high a gear for as long as possible to increase mileage. I do notice that if you get into a rolling hill area, the transmission will begin to shift sooner after short down hill then another uphill quickly but if you run along for a while on flat terrain, then hit a hill, it goes back to 'late shift'.

However, the cruise control problem of not resuming the set speed after a long downhill is still there. I have a long down hill section I drive quite often and the speed at the bottom of the hill will drop well below the set speed, then hold at about 5-6 mph less than the set speed for quite a distance, often more than a half mile, then gradually accelerate back to the set speed. I have tried hitting 'resume' at the bottom of the long hill and that makes no difference. Ford techs say this is 'normal' but I find that a bit hard to buy. The good news is, most other things are just fine now and I can live with this small issue. If you know it is there, you just reset the speed at the bottom of the hill.

All in all, I am pleased with the service I received and the follow up from Ford Customer Service.
Thanks for the status update, Woodie.

I’m pleased to read that you're satisfied with the service received!

You know where to find me if you need me.

Have a great day! :favorites37:

Tricia

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1