2011 5.4 3V Cylinder 2 dropped valve repair or replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5pencer

Reaction score
Hello,

My 2011 5.4L 3V 130,000 miles.
The rocker broke and valve dropped into Cylinder 2.
Background, I’ve kept the vehicle pretty well maintained and repaired with at quality shops when needed. But I did buy it out of a CT state fleet w/ 108k and regular fleet maintenance confirmed by state mechanic.
Breakdown initially Dealer in STL was only shop able to look at it w/o weeks of wait. They found Cyl. 1 & 2 low from computer compression reading. I recovered it across states to local mechanic in SLC who pulled the valve cover and found cyl. 2 rocker broken and valve had dropped.

I’m debating value of repair or replace?

1st estimate Repair: Auto Repair w/ In-house Machine shop $2-4,000.

2nd estimate Replace: other Auto Shop recommends replace w/ Ford Reman 3yr. Unlimited mileage warranty. $6.6-7,000.

I do travel long distances so warranty and low miles are the added bonus of replacement. Obviously, the costs are also more known too, as 2-4K is pretty wide range for repair.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it just an "XL" trim Expy ? It's only worth $6-7,000 with that many miles on it. That's if the motor was still good. Are you really attached to it or something ? If it dropped a valve you'd definitely want to replace the motor. That valve would've chewed up the piston, if not outright broken it. Camshaft torn up ? Timing chains and guides ? Honestly I'd be hunting for a new vehicle.

SiliconMagician

Reaction score
Replace the engine without a doubt unless you want to get a different vehicle entirely, if yours is otherwise is great condition, replace its engine. This video goes into details. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcN_WcGr4BU If you can afford a new expediton. Get one from 15 to current with the ecoboost, as long as you change the oil in them, they will serve you very well for towing as they have alot more low end torque than the v8's, and arent really affected by high altitudes, argue all you want, but the ecoboost is a great engine for an suv or truck, especially for towing.

OP
OP

5pencer

Reaction score
Is it just an "XL" trim Expy ? It's only worth $6-7,000 with that many miles on it. That's if the motor was still good. Are you really attached to it or something ? If it dropped a valve you'd definitely want to replace the motor. That valve would've chewed up the piston, if not outright broken it. Camshaft torn up ? Timing chains and guides ? Honestly I'd be hunting for a new vehicle.
Yeah, I’ve pretty much decide to replace the engine. But like you said the value is less with an XL. I’ve done a fair amount of work too keep it in good order, so with a new engine it maybe a reliable rig. Plus, I’m not wanting to pay extra inn the current used car market as everything is over priced.