2011 engine rebuild advice...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

positivemojo

Reaction score
Mine was diagnosed as a bad rod bearing when I got it 2 years ago- it was 4 loose spark plugs LOL
It's amazing how many times I've heard of a misdiagnosis of 5.4L engine problems. I guess it's because you have to know what you doing with that engine, even for something as simple as changing spark plugs. But when it is running right it's an awesome engine that will go over 300,000 mile - easy, with lots of power.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Starting a build on the truck this week ,brakes, tires, motor diagnose, etc. I am all in with the truck at least when I get done I will know what I have.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad had his engine REPLACED at 100,000 for the same thing in his 2008 E-350 van. They said it blew up. Turned out it just blew out a spark plug when they looked at the old motor out of the truck. Motors blow up all the time, not a surprise when you hear it’s a rod knock. I’m sure plenty actually do blow up, but point is check everything lol.

Last edited:

Mikezr

Reaction score
Unplug your vct solenoids see if the knock goes away or if the knock goes away at higher rpms then it's a timing job you need not a new engine. The 5.4 is a pretty solid motor and don't usually grenade unless issues aren't addressed

Western Rider

Reaction score
If the timing guides have failed the pcs will clog the oil pickup taking out the short block. If this is caught early drop the pan and pull the valve covers to inspect for a suspect rocker arm as others have said. Other than that these motors are pretty solid, it’s likely a failed rocker or clogged oil pickup. If the oil light isn’t on you still have 5 or 8 psi of pressure. This is still bearing starvation, unfortunately ford didn’t give us a real oil pressure gage. Best of luck with your truck they are enjoyable to drive and own.