2012 Air Bags not working in extreme cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MARTIN PSENICKA

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Just bought a 2012 Expy limited. When i test drove it, it was about -10C, no issues with the bags. When i drove it home it was -15C and i had a warning on the dash to "Check Air Suspension" (or something similar) now it is -30C and the air bags are completely deflated. So i put it in my garage for a couple hours, re-start the truck and the air bags inflate without an issue, did this 2 times to verify that they do fill up. Then i found a thread on here to turn off the air suspension on the dash. So i put it in the garage, let it warm up and fill the bags, left it out over night and drove it this morning and even with the suspension turned "off" the compressor still ran and a the bags deflated. Took it into the dealership to diagnose and waiting to hear back how much to fix but was wondering if anyone had any other advice or similar experiences? If it's a complete mess, then is it worth it to just replace the air bags with coilovers?

Last edited:

Cannedkiwi

Reaction score
I have the same problem and I'm wondering if anyone has put airline antifreeze in any where?

OP
OP
M

MARTIN PSENICKA

Reaction score
Dealership says it's an expensive fix and common for these. Just ordered new air bag replacement struts. Cheaper than letting them diagnose for another few hours!! Swap out looks pretty simple, should have it done in 1 day. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Cannedkiwi

Reaction score
Let us know if it worked, I think my problem is the airline freezing because it warms up and works again. It was -34 last night and it looks like it is still up. My work truck has an air dryer to help with this problem, but sometimes I have to put airline antifreeze in the airline.