2012 EL Limited w/125k for $17,995??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the difference is 6 or 7 grand AND a rust-free truck, it might be worth a detour to Texas

I will never buy used from the rust belt. I'll buy from the south near an airport. Fly down and drive back. I'll pay for an independent mechanic usually at firestone to go over the vehicle 1st.

If I see a registration in any snow/salt state that vehicle is deleted from my list. I'll likely have my Expy for quite awhile as I live in a rust state and know it's now devalued because of it.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can do better.

Here is a search of 2010 above Expedtion EL 4x4 with less than 150,000 miles, max price $22,000

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...y=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

Here is the same search with 2015 and above (ecoboost years).
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...y=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

Always check the carfax and have a local mechanic look at it. I forget how much Firestone charges it might be $25 (call them to verify) but I have turned down vehicles when the mechanic found issues I didn't see. Worth losing $25 vs spending thousands in repairs.

If the dealer won't take it to the mechanic for an evaluation or let you do it, walk away.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thing is the low miles are attractive on the one I linked. There is another one local to me with twice the miles and they're still asking $18k for it. It's pretty rough, too.

Haven't looked at this one yet.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the exact same vehicle with a few more miles and I value it at exactly that price.
I love the vehickle!
Mine is in the NY rust belt but I have very little to no rust due to how I've cared for it.
What's your personal take on the 5.4 vs the Ecoboost?

Plati

Reaction score
What's your personal take on the 5.4 vs the Ecoboost?
Never had or even ridden in an Eco-or-Boost powered vehicle, so not qualified for valid opinion.

However, I do have an opinion from reading things (of course).
EcoB probably (almost definitely) gets better gas mileage if you drive it for Eco.
Have owned 3 5.4 Expy's, have 2 now, always been satisfied. Fan of 5.4 V8.
Suspicious of added parts reliability (TT) I don't need since I drive slow & defensive & rarely tow.

I like the model year 2014 … they started putting too many gizmo features on after that
I bought mine at 34K miles for $34K dollars in 2015
So I guess it cost me about $300 a month (depreciation) to own so far … about right I guess

the linked vehicle is shown with 17 wheels, mine has 18 - bet its really 18?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep 18" same wheels as I have on my current ride.

Thanks for your input. I'm a fan of the 5.4 as well.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around me there isn’t much of a price delta between an original 3rd gen or the refreshed one, pretty close. That seems like a fair deal to me.

The XLT Premium is pretty much what came after Eddie Bauer......pretty similar. Only things you can’t get on XLT premium that the Eddie Bauer has is the dual tone leather and wood grain shifter that came with the package. Personally looked at a 2013 XLT Premium but it was rode pretty hard. I didn’t need a payment at the moment and my insurance company took almost a month to pay out on old red so I was on my own....ended up finding another 2007 in good shape with new rocker panels done and jumped on it. Otherwise I would have likely done something like what you are looking into, pretty well equipped for the money.

Last edited:

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.luxuryandimports.com/ve...d-expedition-el-xlt-hutchinson-ks-id-30669041

Thought I'd bump this thread back up instead of starting a new one.

Just torn whether to spend the money for an EcoBoost or stick with the 5.4. Right now I seem to trust the V8 over the V6, but maybe I'm in error.

Take a look at the above link and see what you all think.

Thanks in advance.

It seems the EcoBoost can be plenty reliable in the long haul, if cared for..

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/...-miles-my-2011-eco-boost-385k-mar-2019-a.html