2013 Expedition Long/Hard Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ALEX71

Reaction score
I am trying to determine what would be causing the hard crank on my expedition. It is a 2013 XLT with 70k miles and other than the transmission leadframe issue, it has been trouble free.

When it started getting cold, i noticed it was taking longer to start. It was cranking 2-5 seconds before it actually starts after sitting for a while. It has gradually gotten worse and is noticeable in the morning now. Then i noticed that after driving it for a while and parking it for an hour or so, it wouldn't start. It had a long extended crank that had to be done twice to start. It fumbles for a second once it does start, but it runs and drives perfect after that.

I am at a lose for what it is. It isn't battery (new) or starter related. I am thinking injector leaking or fuel pump check valve is letting pressure drop. It feeling like it is starved for fuel or to much fuel. I have no codes or check engine lights

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going for the obvious here but when was the last time you checked/changed your air filter?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am trying to determine what would be causing the hard crank on my expedition. It is a 2013 XLT with 70k miles and other than the transmission leadframe issue, it has been trouble free.

When it started getting cold, i noticed it was taking longer to start. It was cranking 2-5 seconds before it actually starts after sitting for a while. It has gradually gotten worse and is noticeable in the morning now. Then i noticed that after driving it for a while and parking it for an hour or so, it wouldn't start. It had a long extended crank that had to be done twice to start. It fumbles for a second once it does start, but it runs and drives perfect after that.

I am at a lose for what it is. It isn't battery (new) or starter related. I am thinking injector leaking or fuel pump check valve is letting pressure drop. It feeling like it is starved for fuel or to much fuel. I have no codes or check engine lights
Do this as a test:

When you start it for the first time in the morning, turn the ignition to "Run" position, and let it sit for 15-20 seconds before starting it. Your fuel system may be allowing the fuel pressure to leak down after the pump shuts off. Give the pump some time to get back to operating pressure.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leaky injectors can cause long hard cranks with delayed ignition as well......check into it because injector leak down will eventually waste an engine.

OP
OP
A

ALEX71

Reaction score
So I turned the key to on for 15 seconds tonight and then started it. It had trouble and fumbled for a second then ran fine. Turning it off and back on again, it starts right away.

Should I pull the fuel rail and visually look for leaking injectors. I can also check pressure on fuel rail tomorrow when I go get a guage. What should I be looking for. How long should it be holding pressure once turned off.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I turned the key to on for 15 seconds tonight and then started it. It had trouble and fumbled for a second then ran fine. Turning it off and back on again, it starts right away.

Should I pull the fuel rail and visually look for leaking injectors. I can also check pressure on fuel rail tomorrow when I go get a guage. What should I be looking for. How long should it be holding pressure once turned off.
What engine does it have?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
35 +/- 5 psi

By design, it should hold it forever. There is no facility that depressurizes the system other than the injectors or a leak somewhere. Popping the system open for a fuel filter or hooking up a pressure gage will also do it.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turn the key on for 5 seconds about 4 times to really prime the fuel system. I had a weak pump in an Excursion that only did it in cold temps. It tool a lot of key turn ons to get fuel up there but it also was 36 foot long limo.

You can also test for injector bleed down by holding pedal to down or even to floor when cranking to see if it starts quicker but you usually smell gas when they leak and flood intake and yours sounds like no fuel is getting to rail early enough.

You can try fuel filter too but it is an overhyped replacement item.
I've been doing this for a long time and I have seen exactly 2 filters that I could't or almost couldn't blow through with my mouth.
Now a mouth (except for maybe certain people with better oral skilsl than I) can only blow about 1.5-2.5 psi SO that's clogged up.
One had noticeable driving issues.

All others I have replaced could be blown through forward and backward with only a little more resistance than the new one.. This can just be the wetting of the filter material.

But fuel filters are always a good idea, just like O2 sesnors, not really need to be replaced like the industry may tell you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition