2013 King Ranch Oil Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zmann96

Reaction score
I've read some posts and articles about failed Camshaft Followers due to the lack of oil getting to the overhead cams. Can anyone provide info on the upgraded oil pumps and if they solve the issue.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles on your Expy ? If it's less than 100k miles you can help your motor by running a 5w-30 synthetic oil and motorcraft filter. If it's over 100k miles you might as well wait till you do the timing chains and phasers. But a high volume oil pump helps in any case.

OP
OP
Zmann96

Zmann96

Reaction score
How many miles on your Expy ? If it's less than 100k miles you can help your motor by running a 5w-30 synthetic oil and motorcraft filter. If it's over 100k miles you might as well wait till you do the timing chains and phasers. But a high volume oil pump helps in any case.

I have 150K. I asked in another post about the timing chain and was told it was not an issue. I really don't want to wait until I hear the chain slack. I'll do the chain myself, I've done my brother's Audi A8 which is way more involved. My question was is I've only had it since 138K and I don't know if it was already don't, it wasn't listed on the service records.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're certainly in the window for it. Sometimes you'll find a sticker under the hood if a shop did the timing chain work. But if it's not noted anywhere then you just have to assume it wasn't done. The Melling high volume pump is a great investment. When you order your timing kit get the cast iron tensioners and you will be good to go for a long time.

Ford 3V Timing Kits at Rock Auto

Ford Triton Oil Pumps at Rock Auto

OP
OP
Zmann96

Zmann96

Reaction score
You're certainly in the window for it. Sometimes you'll find a sticker under the hood if a shop did the timing chain work. But if it's not noted anywhere then you just have to assume it wasn't done. The Melling high volume pump is a great investment. When you order your timing kit get the cast iron tensioners and you will be good to go for a long time.

Ford 3V Timing Kits at Rock Auto

Ford Triton Oil Pumps at Rock Auto

Thanks for your response. I'll look around under the hood to see if I can find anything.

OP
OP
Zmann96

Zmann96

Reaction score
I called the dealership that had an extensive maintenance record. He could only search what was approved by Ford extended plan. so if they did work that wasn't warranty he could not search. He did say that just before I purchased at 137k mile it had a cam phaser replaced, the passenger side cam, cam rollers. They were looking for rough running engine. I said that if the chain was loose or any cam folowers were bad they probably would have replaced, all he said it that's all Ford authorized. if they replaced the cam, I'm wondering if it was because of the oil pump issue. the followers had to be bad?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, there's no telling what you'll find then. But if you've worked on an Audi, the Ford timing chain work will seem like an oil change on the Audi. There is a oil flow balancing tube made, that some builders install on high performance applications, that might also help with any future oil related failures to the head region.

Ford 3V Oil Balance Line from Modular Racing

OP
OP
Zmann96

Zmann96

Reaction score
Well, there's no telling what you'll find then. But if you've worked on an Audi, the Ford timing chain work will seem like an oil change on the Audi. There is a oil flow balancing tube made, that some builders install on high performance applications, that might also help with any future oil related failures to the head region.

Ford 3V Oil Balance Line from Modular Racing

Thanks for the response. I've watched the entire 4 part timing chain job and from what I've seen it's a lot easier than the Audi. I will look into that balancing tube, thanks for that.