2014 Expedition Liftgate Rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would you mind asking if the Ford dealer will warranty the replacements? If 2 years from now assuming you still own it, would the same problem be fixed for free?

This is part of the reason Expedition values nose dive on the used market. Would you pay top $ for a used Expy of Navigator that has bubbling paint on it?

I'm actually surprised a successful lawsuit hasn't occurred to force Ford to fix it because it murders resale value.

Last edited:

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you sand the paint off, it stops corroding & looks cool.
Pretty darn shiny though - blinding if the light hits just right!
View attachment 31457

That would bug me too much, just like running around with giant rust holes around the wheel wells and rocker panels or mismatched paint panels. Might as well be Earl.

upload_2019-8-7_8-3-27.jpeg

Plati

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised a successful lawsuit hasn't occurred to force Ford to fix it because it murders resale value.
I'm not a lawyer but I don't believe there is a legal basis for a lawsuit. That's the way our legal system works. Its based on law not on common sense or someones wishes or sense of fairness.

In fact, given that this is a 20 year old problem probably proves that no basis for a successful lawsuit

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny you posted this. I have done months and months of research on this and today I’ll be emailing a friend of mine who is an engineer at ford. My 2015 liftgate is showing signs of the corrosion. I’ve read literally every single post in the corrosion thread posted above and here’s my conclusion:

Ford may fix the issue for free, but a repaint will only last a few years before it happens again, so here’s what I’ve read and heard. Someone in the know please correct me if I’m wrong:

If your hood corrodes you can replace it with a steel one. A company makes them. Get it professionally painted and problem solved.

If your liftgate corrodes, I have read that ford has made newer liftgates that don’t have this issue. Something about redoing how the seam sealer is applied and different stamping methods. Not sure about the details. Can anyone determine definitively if this is true? If the newer ford liftgates for our trucks have fixed the issue, and you can buy a steel hood, then that’s the route I’ll be going since I want to keep my truck for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
MrMud ... Google filiform corrosion aluminum. Good reading. I think due to mechanical issues water gets in under paint at seams and bends chips and terminations.

Also ... Like I've said before ... These trucks live in a hostile environment and gets dings dents and wear out. This is just another war wound!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny you posted this. I have done months and months of research on this and today I’ll be emailing a friend of mine who is an engineer at ford. My 2015 liftgate is showing signs of the corrosion. I’ve read literally every single post in the corrosion thread posted above and here’s my conclusion:

Ford may fix the issue for free, but a repaint will only last a few years before it happens again, so here’s what I’ve read and heard. Someone in the know please correct me if I’m wrong:

If your hood corrodes you can replace it with a steel one. A company makes them. Get it professionally painted and problem solve.

If your liftgate corrodes, I have read that ford has made newer liftgates that don’t have this issue. Someone about redoing how the seam sealer is applied and different stamping methods. Not sure about the details. Can anyone determine definitively if this is true? If the newer ford liftgates for our trucks have fixed the issue, and you can buy a steel hood, then that’s the route I’ll be going since I want to keep my truck for a while.

I bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, which began showing the corrosion on the rear tailgate before the base warranty expired. I take meticulous care of all of my vehicles.

Pretty sad when you are considering buying another hood and tailgate to eliminate the corrosion, which may return.

I figured out how to never experience the aluminum panel corrosion again - never buy another Ford vehicle with aluminum panels. It is obvious that Ford did not care about eliminating the corrosion, or determining why it occurred. They just kept making the new Expeditions with the problem and ignored it.

My two cents.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer but I don't believe there is a legal basis for a lawsuit. That's the way our legal system works. Its based on law not on common sense or someones wishes or sense of fairness.

In fact, given that this is a 20 year old problem probably proves that no basis for a successful lawsuit

Actually, there is a basis for a lawsuit (known defect) and there have been hundreds (thousands?) of successful cases in small claims for this issue (see the Peeling paint Facebook group). There's even a legal prep kit you can rent from Zestar with all of the technical data re the issue. There have also been at least 2 small claims cases for the peeling paint, but neither of those were successful. Whether that's because of legal incompetence or a lack of evidence sufficient to support a case at the class action level, I don't know. There is a third class action in process though.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So does anyone know if the replacement liftgates from ford are fixed? If you google it, some say they are.

Plati

Reaction score
Actually, there is a basis for a lawsuit (known defect) and there have been hundreds (thousands?) of successful cases in small claims for this issue (see the Peeling paint Facebook group). There's even a legal prep kit you can rent from Zestar with all of the technical data re the issue. There have also been at least 2 small claims cases for the peeling paint, but neither of those were successful. Whether that's because of legal incompetence or a lack of evidence sufficient to support a case at the class action level, I don't know. There is a third class action in process though.
I don't know about peeling paint. I thought this about was the bubbling problem. You can file a suit for anything. Winning is a different matter. Lawsuit for a defective product requires injury and other things doesn't it? Lots of known car defects.

It will takes years to know if Ford really fixed it won't it?