2015 expedition limited sunroof leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brett nopper

Reaction score
Just had a big downpour and getting water on inside from the light area. Any ideas what to check ?

Wbeyer

Reaction score
I thought my sunroof was leaking too, but the water was coming from the rear driver's side door. The plugs at the bottom were plugged, holding enough water that it was sleeping into the carpet.
Do you hear water sloshing when you open and close the doors?

Brubro

Reaction score
Just had a big downpour and getting water on inside from the light area. Any ideas what to check ?
Sunroof drain tubes... run some weed eater line down the drains to clear 'em out.
Exactly! Almost all sunroof, windshield, etc leaks on cars are the result of clogged drain tubes unless the support metal in the area in question is rusted out or otherwise damaged.

This can be an issue on 2nd and 3rd gen Expys. I had a 2nd (and mid 3d gen) that developed rust around the rear tailgate hinge area, and they are also known to develop rust on the roof above the windshield. The sunroof/window, etc seals really only leak on old, weathered vehicles. This just isn't that common, unless you have classic cars, cars of significant age, etc.

AC condensation leaks are usually the result of condensation drain tube clogs, often originating from the blower motor drain tubes, but the condensation removal can be set up differently in different vehicles. Just some extra info as it is a regular issue with all vehicles.

Brubro

Reaction score
I thought my sunroof was leaking too, but the water was coming from the rear driver's side door. The plugs at the bottom were plugged, holding enough water that it was sleeping into the carpet.
Do you hear water sloshing when you open and close the doors?
This is happening to my Expy too! -Right side passenger door though. It seems the door seal starts sticking to the metal and does not allow the water to drain out of the small drain hole towards the front of the door. I just pulled the seal away form the metal and it started draining. You could hear and feel that the seal was sticking to the metal, and it drained a significant amount of water out, at least a gallon. Anyone come up with anything to treat the seal with to avoid this?

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is happening to my Expy too! -Right side passenger door though. It seems the door seal starts sticking to the metal and does not allow the water to drain out of the small drain hole towards the front of the door. I just pulled the seal away form the metal and it started draining. You could hear and feel that the seal was sticking to the metal, and it drained a significant amount of water out, at least a gallon. Anyone come up with anything to treat the seal with to avoid this?
I used Armor All to stop- my seals from sticking. Also, there is a rear drain hole that clogs easily. Some weed eater flexible line will help open them up. You will be amazed how much water can get trapped in the doors.