2015 Headlight Assembly Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with most of this. I'm a mechanical engineer. I graduated magna *** laude from Vanderbilt University. A $30 Lux meter (which I use) can answer a lot of questions about the light. Some of my thoughts are certainly opinion. I'll own that. But my comments stands. The HID bulb produces a ton of light. The location of the light source of the HID bulb will not be reflected properly in a reflector housing designed for a halogen point source. The cutoff of a projector housing helps, even though it won't technically produce a legal pattern unless it was designed for HID. The reflector housing will pollute too much light above where it needs to be. Period. I'm sorry my comments were antagonistic. In hindsight, it reads harsh. But dude, what I'm telling you isn't opinion. You're fine in your new ride with the projectors, but what you were doing before with the reflector housings was irresponsible.
Buffy, Thanks for your comments and clarification. I honestly never had any problem with people flashing lights at me with the reflectors but then I did aim them down to make sure they didn't shine in the back windows of cars that I was following. I have an MBA and I have gotten pretty good a doing research and making analytical decisions. I spent over 35 years in the HVAC industry working with design, mechanical, electrical, and manufacturing engineers and service technicians so I do understand what you are saying.

I do like the light from the projectors better with the HIDs as opposed to the halogens, and LEDs that I tried didn't work. They didn't project the light as well as the halogens. I measured the location of the filament in halogens and then measured the area between the electrodes they were nearly identical which is probably why they work so well as compared the LEDs that weren't in the same spot, which probably speaks to the focal length of the reflector.

buffy

Reaction score
Yep, the LEDs suck. Nobody seems to want to do their homework developing a LED that can work as a halogen replacement.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Yep, the LEDs suck. Nobody seems to want to do their homework developing a LED that can work as a halogen replacement.
That's because they sell like crazy so why do legitimate research and develop a product that performs correctly. Unfortunately the lighting market is flooded with hundreds of different led drop in headlights and because they look brighter or have better color than your halogen people think they are better. The retrofit source has been working on legit led options that will work as a drop in and still have the output that a reflector was intended to have. People need to stop buying them as a drop in so these companies are forced to develop something that performs correctly if they want to make money.

This is why I did the retrofit and morimoto led projector fogs.

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk