2015 Transmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How often has the transmission been changed prior to the failure? I have a 2007 Expedition and recommended fluid changes are at 20k miles.

I purchased it new and at 75,000 miles - I had the Ford dealer changed the fluid and filter (not a flush). The vehicle is used for passenger use (no towing) and often driven at moderate speeds for some distance (vs. stop-and-go driving). The owner’s manual states the change interval is 150,000 miles.

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: Now in the middle of week five since the failure was diagnosed and work began on my vehicle at the Ford dealer. The parts are on backorder with no estimate of when they will arrive.

I left two voice messages for my service advisor on separate days, requesting an update. The best he could do was send me a text today stating the parts are on back order.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: Now in the middle of week five since the failure was diagnosed and work began on my vehicle at the Ford dealer. The parts are on backorder with no estimate of when they will arrive.

I left two voice messages for my service advisor on separate days, requesting an update. The best he could do was send me a text today stating the parts are on back order.

S**tty, but at least you have the loaner at their expense. That would kill me though since I need my Expedition for the dogs, hauling for work, etc.

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
S**tty, but at least you have the loaner at their expense. That would kill me though since I need my Expedition for the dogs, hauling for work, etc.

Yes - I use my Expedition daily, with multiple passengers.

My loaner (being paid for by my Ford service contract) is a Ford Fusion 4-door. They are small and sit too low to the ground for me. But it runs and drives.

5x10

Reaction score
I had a 2016 with about 75k miles on it, tranny Broke , cost 5k to replace
traded In it for an Escalade

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2016 with about 75k miles on it, tranny Broke , cost 5k to replace
traded In it for an Escalade

Today begins week six of my Expedition on the lift at the Ford dealer, waiting on back-ordered transmission parts.

Once repaired, I will begin the process of looking for a new SUV. It will not be a Ford or Lincoln.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today begins week six of my Expedition on the lift at the Ford dealer, waiting on back-ordered transmission parts.

Once repaired, I will begin the process of looking for a new SUV. It will not be a Ford or Lincoln.

Man, you’ve had a tough go with this gen 3.5 Expedition, too. I’m beginning to think they may suck. I’m already a new engine and turbo deep before 100,000 miles.

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, you’ve had a tough go with this gen 3.5 Expedition, too. I’m beginning to think they may suck. I’m already a new engine and turbo deep before 100,000 miles.

Yes - and what is frustrating is that I bought it new, take meticulous care of it, and always have it serviced at the Ford dealer (I can no longer do mechanical work due to several major surgeries). I also have recommended service done prior to the mileage / time limits. I even purchase only top-tier fuel, no gas from the “cheap places”.

Although the vehicle has the HD towing package, I have never connected a trailer or hauled heavy cargo. The vehicle has been strictly used for passenger use and grocery-store trips.

A new engine and turbos would be frustrating.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how incredibly unlucky, I would have thrown some lucas trans fix in there immediately when the shuttering started but that's all in the past now. thank goodness you had that warranty coverage!

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:

My Expedtion was returned by the dealer on Thursday evening. It took 42 days (six weeks) to repair it after the transmission failed while the dealer technician was test driving it. The delay was caused by the failure of Ford to provide service parts in a timely manner.

In addition to the transmission rebuild, the dealer replaced the 4WD vacuum check-valve (not the vacuum solenoid), and also a coil pack on cylinder two (as it had a stored code for a misfire).

I had a Ford Fusion sedan as a rental from the dealer for 39 days. My Ford Premium extended service plan paid for all the repairs and the 39-days of rental, costing me a $100 deductible + tax.

I was originally told by the dealer the transmission would be replaced with a new unit, but then was told Ford warranty insisted the transmission be torn-down, inspected and rebuilt.