2016 / 2017 Sync 3.4 Success?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you are getting confused between Sync 2, and Sync 3 with 2.0 version of the OS. This thread is for Sync 3, going to 3.4 version of the OS.

In order to take Sync 2(My Ford Touch), sometimes called the 4 quadrant version, to Sync 3, you have to swap hardware, including the APIM, Screen, and Hub, and a few other small parts. There are several kits out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

adwmac6

Reaction score
I think you are getting confused between Sync 2, and Sync 3 with 2.0 version of the OS. This thread is for Sync 3, going to 3.4 version of the OS.

In order to take Sync 2(My Ford Touch), sometimes called the 4 quadrant version, to Sync 3, you have to swap hardware, including the APIM, Screen, and Hub, and a few other small parts. There are several kits out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Gotcha . thanks

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'd not spend a bunch of money on a hardware upgrade.

My 2007 XLT didn't have built in navigation so I kept a Garmin GPS on top of the dashboard. My 2017 has Sync 3 with navigation and just updated to the latest firmware. And the Garmin still sits on top of the dash. When the two systems propose different routes I take the Garmin's. :)

Screen size with Sync 3 is bigger but the landscape orientation is less than helpful, I really don't care what's 5 miles on either side of my route, I want to know what's ahead. The 'lil Garmin sits in "portrait" orientation.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd not spend a bunch of money on a hardware upgrade.

My 2007 XLT didn't have built in navigation so I kept a Garmin GPS on top of the dashboard. My 2017 has Sync 3 with navigation and just updated to the latest firmware. And the Garmin still sits on top of the dash. When the two systems propose different routes I take the Garmin's. :)

Screen size with Sync 3 is bigger but the landscape orientation is less than helpful, I really don't care what's 5 miles on either side of my route, I want to know what's ahead. The 'lil Garmin sits in "portrait" orientation.

-- Chuck

Chuck is spot on.

Sync 3 gets other advantages though. Like CarPlay and Android Auto, which is what I use to solve the problems Chuck is talking about. Waze on the bigger screen is nice!

If you are doing it for Maps, not worth it. If you are doing it to gain CarPlay/Android Auto and keep the Stock feel and function, it is worth it in my opinion if you are going to keep the Truck for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chicagodawg

Reaction score
I just completed this update on my 2017 Expo. I used a 64GB Scan disk (Cruzer Glide) thumb drive. I downloaded the automatic down-loader and went that route. I have gig internet and it still took about 2 hours to download. Some of the files were only downloading at KB rates. So it can be slow, like using a 56K modem slow. Once that was complete, I simply plugged the stick into the USB port in the Expo and away the update went. During the first few minutes, I thought it was done, my screen went black. But after a minute or two, the screen changed to a status bar and was updating. It probably took about 45mins to update.

Happy to help!

Snidley53

Reaction score
2016 Expedition I am on 3.0 build 19205, do I need to downgrade to build 19200 before doing the most recent upgrade version of 3.4? Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2016 Expedition I am on 3.0 build 19205, do I need to downgrade to build 19200 before doing the most recent upgrade version of 3.4? Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

The answer is no...the downgrade it is talking about is to 3.4.19200, you are on 3.0.19205. There is version, minor version, and build revision.

After you install 3.4.19274 or above, sometimes you will need to downgrade first. But a downgrade is only required if you want to upgrade Maps. If you are just upgrading the Apps, then that does not require the format tool, and therefore no downgrade.

Last edited:

Snidley53

Reaction score
So the downgrade applies to only 3.4 19274 was a bit confusing for my poor old brain. Thanks for clarifying this.