2016 Brake Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToadHall

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Expedition EL Limited 4x4.
It has been sitting hooked up to my trailer for about 3 days, since returning from a short trip. Nothing unusual was noticed on the trip. When I unhitched from the trailer this morning the “BRAKE FLUID LOW” message was displayed and the brake pedal was mushy. I checked the reservoir and it was almost empty. I thought that was odd, so I filled it up and tried again. It acted normal for about 1 minute and then the message reappeared and all the brake fluid was gone. There is no puddle underneath or any visible sign of where the fluid is going. Any suggestions?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has been sitting hooked up to my trailer for about 3 days, since returning from a short trip. Nothing unusual was noticed on the trip. When I unhitched from the trailer this morning the “BRAKE FLUID LOW” message was displayed and the brake pedal was mushy. I checked the reservoir and it was almost empty. I thought that was odd, so I filled it up and tried again. It acted normal for about 1 minute and then the message reappeared and all the brake fluid was gone. There is no puddle underneath or any visible sign of where the fluid is going. Any suggestions?

Ford has recently issued a safety recall for this defect: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22V150-1267.PDF

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Was any of the information helpful that was posted?

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow… sorry to hear about that. Actually had something similar happen to my ‘04 Eddie Bauer. Ended up being the brake booster. It was leaking inside the vehicle.

What I found interesting while doing a VIN search on my 2016 came up with a campaign on the brake system. Hopefully this helps you…

Attachments

• 6C773B89-309B-4B65-AEF0-F28B9430485D.png
    6C773B89-309B-4B65-AEF0-F28B9430485D.png
    267.5 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
T

ToadHall

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I had to have it towed and then it took them until today to get back to me. Exactly correct Sir. The recall was the right call. thank you