2016 Expedition EL check charging system warnings 2 alternators later...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I was having this issue on my 07. Not sure how different the charging system is but the 3 wire harness that runs to the alternator was where my issue was. The pins were loose in the plug and it wasn't sending the alt output power to the pcm. It took like a month to find it because it was intermittent but it was throwing a P0625. I'm also 2 alternator deep and once I replaced that plug all is good.

OP
OP
D

daftdesigner

Reaction score
The truck is under PremiumCare, but the attention we are getting from Corporate is terrible. The small local dealership is totally stepping up and working on it and as of this afternoon, the selling dealership is also actively involved.

I will update once I learn more.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smaller shops usually are better. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Unfortunately issues like this are tough because the alternator send signals to and from the pcm (gen Mon,gen com and B+) B+ is just battery voltage but gen Mon/Com need to be measured with an oscilloscope. If the issue is intermittent and not showing on the oscope they'll just send you packing.

Any idea what the code is?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's funny what gixer said about the pins. Years back when I was running a Harley rental in San Fran, we had a brand new Electra glide that had to be towed in twice. The first time the dealer thought it was fixed. Second time their top tech found a bent pin straight from Milwaukee that slipped through, and was causing it to lose spark. Took as much as 400 miles to act up. Thank god I didn't have to find that one. Yours is probably similar, an overlooked easy connection. Chances of 2 dealer alternators bad would be astronomical.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
It's funny what gixer said about the pins. Years back when I was running a Harley rental in San Fran, we had a brand new Electra glide that had to be towed in twice. The first time the dealer thought it was fixed. Second time their top tech found a bent pin straight from Milwaukee that slipped through, and was causing it to lose spark. Took as much as 400 miles to act up. Thank god I didn't have to find that one. Yours is probably similar, an overlooked easy connection. Chances of 2 dealer alternators bad would be astronomical.

Its so common across all manufacturers it not even funny because it could take months to find stuff like this.

Knowing the exact code may help me tell you what pin you should be looking at

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And that is why I love electrical work. Hours to find the problem & minutes to fix it. Then the Kodak moment when they ask how much?

Isn't that the truth! Time is money but most of us have been on both sides of that equation.

We as owners want and expect the manufacturer to be able to diagnose and solve the issue quickly then affect the actual repair.....but most of us have a bit of heartache paying for the Diagnose & solve part but in reality, that's all time the mechanic isn't making his boss money doing something else so he's fair to charge for it.

I think it's getting better though...in the 80's & 90's, most dealers hired "parts changers" and YOU got to pay for their incorrect diagnosis....it seems not to be quite as bad as it once was.

jeff

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope it has gotten worse. Now the techs need to know not only the product they need an understanding of electronics and computer operation. Most hate it and do what the scanners tell them - right or wrong. "But the parts were bad anyway..."