2016 Expedition EL check charging system warnings 2 alternators later...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daftdesigner

Reaction score
We picked up a 2016 Ford Expedition EL a couple of weeks ago, and it was just in to replace its second alternator after "check charging system" messages started lighting up the dash.

We bought the Expy to tow our travel trailer ahead of a 6 week road trip - just me and my 4 kids - through Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Washington before returning to Portland.

30 miles outside of Meridian, the dash threw the same "check charging system" message. I spoke to our dealer and a couple of local Ford shops and am trying to sort out what to do:

1. Local dealers can't get me into for a week or more... so lie in wait and pray for the best.
2. Hobble home and get the dealer to work on it again. Tricky as the last time we spoke there were no alternators around.
3. Discuss a trade either here in Boise or after hobbling home (and praying for the best).

My kids and I are heartbroken about this - just not sure what is the best plan of attack.

checkengine.jpg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, check for loose battery cables and connections at the alternator. Make sure your ground connections are tight too.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy a battery charger and a digital multimeter. Enjoy the trip - when you set up the trailer also charge the battery. Use the multimeter to monitor the battery voltage the next time the warning comes on and throughout the day. Minimum charging voltage with the engine running is 13.5 volts dc. A battery is considered discharged at 11.8 volts.
Problem may not be the alternator. Could be loose connections, electrical harness or ecm. A msster tech should troubleshoot the problem instead of throwing parts at it.
To lengthen the run time on the battery if it isn't being charged you should reduce the electrical load on the system by turning off accessories.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unhook your tow and drive around. $10 says the fault is on your trailer or in the electrical connection to your truck.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mulit meter to check battery and if its its getting a charge with engine running and trailer unplugged.
after you check all battery connections , that means removing them and then reattaching.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would not be taking it on any trip with the light on and not knowing if its charging or not. If a voltmeter shows that it is charging then fine, go on your trip.

A battery charger and voltmeter wont do you any good if it dies on the side of the road.

If the dealer cant get you in try an independent repair shop since you really need to get this fixed asap.

OP
OP
D

daftdesigner

Reaction score
UPDATE.

This is getting ludicrous.

Took it into a dealership near Boise and they could not replicate the issue and told us the truck was working fine. Made arrangements to store the trailer at a friend's near Sun Valley and after making it to their place without an incident, the messages started again after trying to run to the store.

Ford sent me to a local dealership (great people) who looked as the truck and are saying that there are clearly faulty circuits (not sure why they can see this and the dealership in Boise cannot). They cannot get to the truck for 10 days though. Ugh.

Trying to get Ford corporate involved - but they moving sluggishly. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it still within the factory warranty period? If not, do you have an extended warranty? Call all of the dealers around you and explain that you are on vacation and need to get it fixed. See if someone can get you in. If it is too far for the truck to make it, put it on a rollback and send it to them. I can't believe that a dealership can't work you in, in an emergency.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may need to get the bureau of automotive repair, or an attorney involved in automotive, it's amazing how managers jump up and get things fixed when attorneys get involved. Push come to shove they should hook you up with a rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk