2016 OEM Trailer Brake Controller - How does it work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wamcneil

Reaction score
Hi all,
I must admit that I don't know much about trailer brake controllers. We've got a 2016 king ranch with the OEM brake controller.
How does the brake controller work? Is it proportional to the amount of vehicle braking, or is it a fixed gain?
I think I read somewhere that at low speed it reduces the gain, but I can't find anywhere that discusses what kind of controller it is, fixed or proportional.
Thanks
Walter

OP
OP
W

wamcneil

Reaction score
Nevermind... I think I just found the answer on an f150 forum. Looks like the integrated controller is proportional.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nevermind... I think I just found the answer on an f150 forum. Looks like the integrated controller is proportional.
It is, and it's all adjustable. Look up an owner's manual and go through all the settings. They will likely change from trailer to trailer.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
If it's like my 2017 you can set it up for multiple trailers. I currently have it set for my 6000 pound travel trailer and set it earlier for a Uhaul trailer I was towing. Just have to select the other one when needed.

You can also set the "miles to empty" estimation to the Towing mode as well since fuel economy plummets when towing and an earlier warning is nice.

-- Chuck

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, hooked up in my driveway with engine running I placed a magnetic compass near my trailer brake drums. I had my wife press the Expy’s brake pedal. It took about 3-5 seconds for the compass to swing. I could also hear the brakes buzzing. Is this what is meant by “proportional?” Because a 3-5 second delay couldn’t be good in an emergency braking situation.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Emergency braking? You're stopped. :) It's proportional to your speed and how hard you brake -- which is, of course, Zero (0) at present after which the brakes partially apply as long as the pedal is depressed just to help if you need them. Recommend you connect and set the brakes per the instructions in your owner's manual. RTFM :) . School parking lot is a good place to set them rather than on the road but your suburban street or country road is probably good enough. Again, read the procedure.

When you read the manual (did I recommend that?) you'll also find:
The trailer brake controller is equipped
with a feature that reduces output at
vehicle speeds below 11 mph (18 km/h)
so trailer and vehicle braking is not jerky
or harsh. This feature is only available
when applying the brakes using your
vehicle's brake pedal, not the
controller

-- Chuck

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Chuck. I was referring to EB while moving…not in my driveway. But thanks for the explanation.