Trailer Brake Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm rolling with a 2016 Exp Max Platinum with the HD tow package, but my trailer brake controller is faulty. I'm looking to replace it with a tekonsha prodigy but am having a hard time figuring out how this is best accomplished. there are a few good videos on youtube i found about 2018+, but i haven't seen anything helpful for the 2016. Do i have to take the whole panel off to get to the controller harness? Can i reroute the harness below the steering wheel so i can mount the aftermarket controller? Also, what will i need to do with forscan? AH! I'm a newb...any help is greatly appreciated! Pulling a trailer even once without the brakes when the controller failed was NO picnic and i'm not doing that again.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How did you determine the integrated controller is bad? I had alot of issues and found the fix to be the white ground wire / connection above the spare tire.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
How did you determine the integrated controller is bad? I had alot of issues and found the fix to be the white ground wire / connection above the spare tire.
good question! i guess it was an assumption. We got stuck at a campsite where whenever i plugged in the trailer the trailer brakes would automatically seize. I added some dielectric grease to the connectors and that helped for a bit, but then the same problem came back and i was forced to drive home without trailer brakes. that was a slow drive! I also have a persistent "trailer brake module" error flashing on the dash.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good question! i guess it was an assumption. We got stuck at a campsite where whenever i plugged in the trailer the trailer brakes would automatically seize. I added some dielectric grease to the connectors and that helped for a bit, but then the same problem came back and i was forced to drive home without trailer brakes. that was a slow drive! I also have a persistent "trailer brake module" error flashing on the dash.
That is kind of the opposite of the problem I had, which was I constantly got “Trailer Disconnected” message, all the trailer lights, including brake lights, continued to work, but I had no trailer brakes and as you know, that is no fun at all.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks all! I found a cheap used prodigy2 so i'm going to try and go that route (no disrespect to y'all)...any recommendations on forscan? do i need to disable the trailer brake control module in order to use an aftermarket? I'm still getting a fault error that i can't clear but i imagine it's because i unplugged the controller. Any thoughts?

BTW, i did a good clean of the ground wire, just in case! Thanks for the tip.

11MileRainbow

Reaction score
Thanks all! I found a cheap used prodigy2 so i'm going to try and go that route (no disrespect to y'all)...any recommendations on forscan? do i need to disable the trailer brake control module in order to use an aftermarket? I'm still getting a fault error that i can't clear but i imagine it's because i unplugged the controller. Any thoughts?

BTW, i did a good clean of the ground wire, just in case! Thanks for the tip.
I'm curious how the Prodigy worked out for you. I have a 2017 and the local dealer diagnosed my TBC as "faulty" after I had to bump up the gain from 2 to 7 for both of my trailers, and the OEM part is on a nationwide backorder with no ETA. I have a couple camping trips planned and considering an after market device until the OEM part is available. I've had several Tekonsha models on other trucks and they worked great, but my main concern is about other stuff not working right or constant warnings because the OEM is unplugged. Please share your experience if you can!