Trailer Brake Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

11MileRainbow

Reaction score
I called around to several shops in Colorado Springs and was unable to find anyone with direct experience with the 2017 Expy and after-market controller. One guy had done a 2018 and said that all the warning lights came on and he had to reset them with an ODBII scanner, which didn't give me a lot of confidence. So I called the dealer service dept, the same one that diagnosed the OEM controller as "faulty", and he said there shouldn't be a problem.

So I ordered the Prodigy 2 from e-trailer, with the specific adapter, and got it working in about an hour. Every time the truck starts it displays a warning about the brake module, but just press OK and it goes away. All I had to do was pull the OEM unit out of the dash and unplug it from the connector. Then plug the Prodigy into that connector. Since I wanted to have some good visibility of the device, I mounted it on the lower left dash just above the parking brake lever. I did that with the driver door open and centered it on that panel, but found that the door hit it when closing. So I had to drill new holes and move it to the right. The vehicle-specific wiring adapter is plenty long to reach that block behind the OEM device.

I've tested it with one trailer and it worked like a champ. I'm calling it a success!

Mike Higbee

Reaction score
Having a similar problem on our 2015 Platinum, while driving to Yellowstone I made a stop and when I started up to proceed the trailer brakes were locked. Today I replaced the white box module that is mounted beneath the steering wheel but problem still there. I have attempted to order the control module that is mounted on the dash but they are on nation-wide backorder with no estimated ship date.
I've cleaned the ground on the frame near the spare tire as well as cleaned the 10pin plug without success. I purchased a plug tester that installs into the connector at the rear of the car and it shows strong voltage present on the blue brake wire even when the ignition is off?? Thankfully RV season is over for the year so I have some time to get it working, and will post the remedy if I ever find the problem