2016 XLT Remote Start Install Success

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this! I am new to the forum as I am in the market for a 2016 EL, and I would really like to have remote start, but it’s not installed in most of the used trucks I have looked at. If the dealer(not a Ford dealer) selling the truck only has one key, can a Ford dealer make a second one? Does you XLT have a push button start? Anyone know how that would change the install? I watched the videos, so the step where they alternate keys would have to be different.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really need to call them to find out about the keys. And my truck doesn’t have push button start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
key.jpg The dealer is full of crap on the '16 Expedition. All you need to buy is new factory remote start keys...which look just like the original but with the center start button....the dealer programs the PCM with a laptop and you now have factory remote start. No cutting wires and plugging in stuff. Then you end up with 4 keys for your truck, 2 remote start 2 regular.

Last edited:

malimal

Reaction score
View attachment 23399 The dealer is full of crap on the '16 Expedition. All you need to buy is new factory remote start keys...which look just like the original but with the center start button....the dealer programs the PCM with a laptop and you now have factory remote start. No cutting wires and plugging in stuff. Then you end up with 4 keys for your truck, 2 remote start 2 regular.
You had an XLT without remote start and they didn't have to install anything?

I just install the fort1 a couple day ago. Works fine.

Got off Amazon for $75. Used videos like the one about off YouTube to install.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You had an XLT without remote start and they didn't have to install anything?

I just install the fort1 a couple day ago. Works fine.

Got off Amazon for $75. Used videos like the one about off YouTube to install.

That's right. On the '16 Expedition it's part of the PCM, not sure on the earlier years. Just need to buy the keys and program the PCM for the option. Doesn't the kit use another fob? I like having an OEM key with the start feature. I would never install an aftermarket kit in a new $50K+ truck.

malimal

Reaction score
That's right. On the '16 Expedition it's part of the PCM, not sure on the earlier years. Just need to buy the keys and program the PCM for the option. Doesn't the kit use another fob? I like having an OEM key with the start feature. I would never install an aftermarket kit in a new $50K+ truck.

Wow. I have a '16 xlt....If i had known that I would have went that route. Would have liked to keep it factory.

I thought you had to buy an oem kit to install first, plus the keys.

The Fortin is not bad. No dongle. Uses factory key..

Owell..done now.

Now just wish there was an easy to upgrade radio..that doesn't cost 2K.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife just bought the same kit for my 2010 as an early birthday present. I'm hoping tomorrow's weather is as forecasted so I can get out and attempt the install without losing feeling in my fingertips.

Good luck to both of us :)

How did the install go? How long and what issues did you find? Mine should be in today, and hoping to install next weekend.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How did the install go? How long and what issues did you find? Mine should be in today, and hoping to install next weekend.
Didn't make much progress at all. It's a big mess of wires to sort out so I organized what I could in the house, soldered the single wire connection between the harnesses, and headed out to the truck to make sense of it all.

The documentation is really good but you're working in tight quarters. Make sure you have a wire stripper that can pull back insulation from the middle of a wire.

I only had about an hour of free time (potty training a toddler requires way more focus than I anticipated) and only got the 12v+ hooked up. The tap-in option is the main wire feeding the passenger side kick plate fuse panel. I didn't have a stripper that could handle that gauge wire so I ended up running an 8 gauge from the battery through the firewall to use as a dedicated 12v+ just for the remote start system.

And then my son woke up from his nap.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't make much progress at all. It's a big mess of wires to sort out so I organized what I could in the house, soldered the single wire connection between the harnesses, and headed out to the truck to make sense of it all.

The documentation is really good but you're working in tight quarters. Make sure you have a wire stripper that can pull back insulation from the middle of a wire.

I only had about an hour of free time (potty training a toddler requires way more focus than I anticipated) and only got the 12v+ hooked up. The tap-in option is the main wire feeding the passenger side kick plate fuse panel. I didn't have a stripper that could handle that gauge wire so I ended up running an 8 gauge from the battery through the firewall to use as a dedicated 12v+ just for the remote start system.

And then my son woke up from his nap.

Yeah, there are a bunch there looking at the kit. I see it includes hood latch plungers and a relay. Are those needed? Looks like a lot of tapping in to everything after reading the instructions online. Thought I might pull constant power from the cigarette lighter plug (or whatever they are called now). I am also going to add a new 12V switched power plug so my GPS comes on and goes off with the vehicle when I have it all apart. I'm hoping to try and tackle it this weekend, but I have the opposite issue, my kids are between 16 and 26 and still need help. Remodeling oldest son's kitchen after water line rupture in the attic after freeze here... I'll probably be rewiring his kitchen instead of my truck.