2017 3.5 EB Oil Preference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford recommends synthetic blend, for models sold in the USA. However the same Expedition sold in Canada or Mexico, Ford recommends full synthetic. Ford doesn't want cheap US owners, complaining about the high oil change cost. I would always use full syn in the EB and change at least 5000K.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford recommends synthetic blend, for models sold in the USA. However the same Expedition sold in Canada or Mexico, Ford recommends full synthetic. Ford doesn't want cheap US owners, complaining about the high oil change cost. I would always use full syn in the EB and change at least 5000K.
Me too, best oil and good change timing, it will pay for itself.

Greg Coleman

Reaction score
It's actually more about the quality of fuels available in other countries. You would expect fuel in Mexico to be consistent due to PeMex being a state-run refinery. It's pretty much the opposite. You never know what you're getting. In Canada, the weather plays a role in fuel quality. Long-term storage in arctic cold can lead to fuel breaking down.

I work in the auto industry. From NASCAR engines, to modern, high-output 4's, to diesels, to some crazy power levels. I have been involved in many, many discussions about oils. "Oil is oil" is NOT a good policy!! There is an incredible variety of base stocks in use, and an even broader spread of additive packages. I won't get into the discussion any deeper than to say that even Mobil 1 has it's limitations. In anything built in the last 20 years, you're safe using ANY good, name-brand synthetic. If you have anything older than the 80's, DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! The level of zinc and phosphorous in modern synthetics will NOT protect your old flat-tappet cam and your old ring materials.

My '16 Expy gets Amsoil Signature series. Do some research on "Low Speed Pre Ignition" (LSPI) in direct-injected and boosted engines.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
In anything built in the last 20 years, you're safe using ANY good, name-brand synthetic. If you have anything older than the 80's, DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! The level of zinc and phosphorous in modern synthetics will NOT protect your old flat-tappet cam and your old ring materials.
My '16 Expy gets Amsoil Signature series. Do some research on "Low Speed Pre Ignition" (LSPI) in direct-injected and boosted engines.
Run regular oil in a flat tappet motor and you'll be putting a cam in it guaranteed. I run Brad Penn in my 460ci BBC even though it's a roller motor.
I've been calling Amsoil snake oil for years. I think I started out thinking it was Amway oil lol. I was talking to my brother about it the other night and he's got me swinging in the other direction. He's a Mech Engineer and has built many engines. His big Tri-Power Pontiac in his 65 GTO gets Amsoil and drops the temps 20 degrees compared to regular oils. He has 1/2 his coolant passages filled for racing. Before, he'd go out on the highway and have to get off every few exits to let her cool down. Now it never goes above 200.
SE Mich. You go to Milan? Just moved from that area a couple of years ago.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2017 3.5 EB with 75K one owner miles I am assuming it was standard oil my guess
5w-30 the owner had done w/ oil changes so with the Ecoboost
Switch over to Synthetic or Amsoil?
Or
since it has 75K stay with standard oil weight (Is switching to synthetic bad idea)
You can get the motocraft synthetic blend at wal*mart pretty cheap. That's what I'd use if changing myself. I did the 1st oil change on mine, but since have taken to the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I liked the first part but why the dealer?
My oil life went from 100% to 5% barely 3k miles. So if there's a issue I wanted dealer aware of it. I started a thread called "short oil life" I've read on here about some going 10k plus miles before oil life monitor says to change. Since I've owned my truck we've put about 11k miles on it in 21 months. And it has required 3 oil changes. So were going around 6 months and 3k miles. I've learned or have been led to believe it's my wife's fault, for all the curb idling she does and remote starts, along with very little freeway driving.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk