2017 3.5l ecoboost Expedition, any known issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 el that was also a rental prior to my purchase,with 56k on it. I've only put 3,500 miles on it since August. The only issue I've had is that when park it with the front end higher than the rear end(parking spot with a decent grade), then water from rain overwhelms the 2 rear sunroof drains and water has poured into the vehicle from the 2 central roof air vents..... I'm gonna run some trimmer line through the drain lines and that may solve the problem, but I cant imagine that they are clogged. If you don't have a sunroof, then this shouldn't be an issue. For more info on mine and similar leaks look at the "2017 Water Leaks" thread.

I average 13.8 right now, but most of my driving is around town while carrying my wife and 6 kids...so running with more weight than some. My wife took a 1,000mile trip Kentucky and back and got around 17 carrying a full load of passengers and the cargo area full as well

For perspective, this truck replaced my 2001 Chevy Suburban LT with 195,000 miles....had a sunroof and never had a single leak. I guess chevy is better at designing sunroofs/drains.....still miss my Suburban:(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Some people have had similar water issues. I parked mine outside, nose down, nose up for a year an a half and never had any water issues.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm at 17,500. Keep going Andy...you'll pass me soon enough. If we hadn't gone to Niagara Falls in early Oct, I'd own the low mileage record right now...
I just put 400 miles on it yesterday so I'm 15,600 something. We drove to Kenton Ohio for a Scottish Rite Reunion. I picked a couple of degrees. Now only 11 to go to fill my passport.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Out here in parts of Cali, I’ve laid $4.35 for premium. 34 gallons...almost $150 to fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Never had a $100 fill-up in either of my Expeditions. Computer indicates well over 15 mpg for the life of the truck including several hundred miles of towing.

What car are you using premium in? The Expedition doesn't need it. (I know you know this. Couldn't resist. :) )

-- Chuck

Bmoe

Reaction score
Canada, it’s $1.15 per litre which is 4 litres per US Gallon =$4.60 per gallon. Our gas prices fluctuate from $1.05-1.30 per litre.

Mine was also a daily rental, I bought with 16,900 km on it which is approximately 10,000 miles, I’m at 22,000 km now.A few years ago I used to own a 2004 Yukon XL with the vortex engine and I got better fuel economy.

I realize my expy is heavier than my 2.7 l f150 and the f150 had a larger tank. I am going to switch my computer over to us units of measure and will report back what my mileage avg is.
Bmoe

sonofagun

Reaction score
My wife is looking at a 2017 3.5l ecoboost with 52,000
On it. Any problems with this model, I'll have it for at least 6 years.
Any info on it will be grateful. Are the Transmission and motors any good?

I purchased a 2017 EL Limited 4WD with 52K miles on it from Enterprise Car Rentals online three weeks ago. ($5,000 under NADA book value)

The truck looks new, feels new and even smells new. No problems so far.

ltharley

Reaction score
I would definitely negotiate having the truck CPOed. I did that with my 17 Platinum which had 36,000 on it when I purchased it.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is mid $70s. My tank is 34 gallons....2017 EL limited 4x4(if that makes any difference....maybe he's running 93 instead of regular? I pay $2.35 a gallon and live just south of DC..........Inside DC gas is around $3 a gallon on average.....

You must be near my office....Upper Marlboro. Since brand new, I used to fill up 93 BP at $3.49 up on Rt 3(18.2mpg) but now I moved to the Shell 93 by me.

I admit that I do not pay for gas so I don't know how much the Shell is.

Nice bikes....what year is your v4?

jeff

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You must be near my office....Upper Marlboro. Since brand new, I used to fill up 93 BP at $3.49 up on Rt 3(18.2mpg) but now I moved to the Shell 93 by me.

I admit that I do not pay for gas so I don't know how much the Shell is.

Nice bikes....what year is your v4?

jeff
They are both 2004.....I live in Virginia:)

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Stay away from former rentals. Little or no maintenance is ever done. I was given a rental, with a change oil light on. The girl said they get topped off and not to worry about it. They may go 10,000mi+ between changes. The cars are repeatedly started and moved. They are quick washed with brushes and never waxed. 90% of drivers may drive them normal. The other 10%, who knows.