2017 3.5l ecoboost Expedition, any known issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a CPO 17 EL XLT 4x4 with 202a early this year with 31k miles on the clock. Now it's got a tad over 42k and no issues. I replaced a max tow F150 platinum and use the expedition to routinely tow my 6200 pound travel trailer through the Mountains most weekends all summer. No issues with power, plenty to spare when towing. I have seen it "overheat" twice while pulling a long steep grade (reduced power error pops up on the display telling you to reduce speed), but it's an electronic nanny problem, letting off the gas and the temp instantly goes back to normal.

In situations like that, I've learned just don't exceed 45mph and the truck won't bat an eyelash (even though there is always power to spare). I get 8-10mpg towing, and have seen as high as 23 on long highway trips with cruise set north of 80mph. The dic for my day to day mostly in town driving is always around 16.5 but actual computed mileage can be as much as + or - 2mpg. I have the HD tow package which has the 3.73 gearing and integrated brake controller and I wouldn't own an expedition (or any truck for that matter) without that option.

Bmoe

Reaction score
I just got my 2017 expy 16,900 and returned my lease 2015 F150 2.7ecoboost. Here’s what you will have to deal with, the 3.5 l economist is a huge pig on gas, I got two weeks out of my 2.7 l ecoboost but the expy has two be fueled once a week.

I love my expedition but I wish it wasn’t such a gas guzzler.

If you don’t mind spending $100+ for gas every week then welcome to the club but if you do I would recommend a different vehicle. I was not prepared for such a difference in gas consumption
Other than that it’s a great vehicle

Bmoe

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got my 2017 expy 16,900 and returned my lease 2015 F150 2.7ecoboost. Here’s what you will have to deal with, the 3.5 l economist is a huge pig on gas, I got two weeks out of my 2.7 l ecoboost but the expy has two be fueled once a week.

If you don’t mind spending $100+ for gas every week then welcome to the club but if you do I would recommend a different vehicle. I was not prepared for such a difference in gas consumption

Bmoe
Lol....not sure there is any large SUV that doesn't burn fuel....I went from an 87 pontiac safari station wagon(V8 350) that got 8 mpg at the end, then moved to an 88 suburban(V8 5.7l) that got 10 mpg, then my 01 suburban(V8 5.3l) that got 12mpg, my expedition gets 13.8mpg so far doing exclusively city driving. . . . If you want true fuel economy. Then you'll ride a motorcycle....my past Honda CBR 600F4i and my current Honda ST1300 get 40mpg consistently:) much more fun too!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
7b7c863b5361cc2bb600dfa240ea1c41.jpg

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I average 15-16 MPG with my 5.4L, pretty good gas mileage IMO. Will get into the 18 MPG range highway. The 3.5 EcoBoost isn’t bad on gas at all, it gets 1 MPG better than the 5.4L. Neither are bad on gas.

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I average 15-16 MPG with my 5.4L, pretty good gas mileage IMO. Will get into the 18 MPG range highway.
I could never get that with my suburban....although the sticker said it would get up to 17 highway. They probably didn't account that I'd be driving with 8 of us, fully loaded rear cargo area, and a Thule 19 cu ft topper....:)

My wife has a Yukon with a 4.8l V8, but it doesn't have the cargo space for any more than a day trip. . . We've gotten up to 23mpg with that and average 18 highway miles fully loaded.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got 15,000 miles on my 17. Bought new No real issues. I have the EL with 4WD I average about 14.5 MPG week in and week out. I can see up to 17 on a long trip but it is only while driving on the highway. I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a 19 or 20 :D
I'm at 17,500. Keep going Andy...you'll pass me soon enough. If we hadn't gone to Niagara Falls in early Oct, I'd own the low mileage record right now...

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Bmoe
I can literally go 2 months between fill ups if I just commute with it. (5 miles a day, total)

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Bmoe

Bmoe

$100???? Where do you fill up? Ours runs $65 and that was before gas dropped the last couple weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$100???? Where do you fill up? Ours runs $65 and that was before gas dropped the last couple weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Mine is mid $70s. My tank is 34 gallons....2017 EL limited 4x4(if that makes any difference....maybe he's running 93 instead of regular? I pay $2.35 a gallon and live just south of DC..........Inside DC gas is around $3 a gallon on average.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360