2017 engine ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khphillips

Reaction score
I bought this truck used as certified pre-owned. The truck has 40k on it and as developed a ticking sound when cold and at operating temp. Took it to the dealership and the tech says all is well just injectors. The noise very similar to the piston skirt which I have seen on Utube. sounds sort of like exhaust manifold cracked, slack rocker arm, piston slip. The service writer says he will get the shop manager to have him listen to it. I called BS lets open the hood on a new one and see if it makes this noise. Any suggestions?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it getting worse with time? That’s an indicator of the piston skirt cracking issue. The DI fuel pump and injectors make some noise but not much so it’s good to call BS if you think that’s wrong.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Did they open the hood on a new one and listen to it as you asked? Injectors do make a light tap, but you really don't hear them inside the car, just perhaps outside by the hood.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never heard of piston skirts cracking... is that an EcoBoost thing due to the higher operating pressures or higher performance crankshaft?

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This guy demonstrates a test for checking broken piston or piston rings: put compressed air into cylinder bore through the spark plug hole and if it comes out the oil filler, it means there's a problem:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of piston skirts cracking... is that an EcoBoost thing due to the higher operating pressures or higher performance crankshaft?

There is a TSB for it on the ecoboosts. It starts ticking and progressively gets louder until loss of performance from what I recall. That’s likely what OP is referring to.

OP
OP
K

khphillips

Reaction score
As for the progression, I purchased the truck last fall and it made not noise other than the clicking type noise of the injectors which I feel is normal based on my history with fuel injection. I just heard the noise for the lst time last week. I can take to another dealer who will likely not want to do anything either. Should I complain to ford corporate? I await their response this morning. I do plan to video the truck sitting in the parking lot at the dealership --I will post later

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Complaining to corp prob won't carry any weight if you don't have documentation from at least one Ford dealer.

I'm guessing that the "ticking" is loud? Like a failing hydraulic lifter loud? Then there is really no reason for them to doubt a problem. If they refuse to find the problem, THAT is what I would approach Corp with.

Hope it doesn't come to that for you though bud,

jeff

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 79 F150 4x4 came with a 300 6cyl. I cracked 3 piston skirts. And then bought 2 different junk yard motors, that had cracked skirts as well. Then finally tossed on a 351 Cleveland. Solved.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk