2017 HID Headlamp Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back in march I installed the 55W HIDs in my Limited EL. Several guys cautioned me not to use them because of higher heat, shorter bulb life etc. I did a lot of research online but I could not find anything that conclusively pointed to these issues other than that the 55W used a standard HID bulb but just put more current to it.

Fast forward to Sunday night. We were sitting in the drive thru line at Zesto's the local ice cream chain and I noticed that my driver's side headlamp was out. I turned the lights off and back on but no change. Monday morning I immediately reached out to XenonHIDs.com. They said to follow the troubleshooting procedure. Anyway in the back of my mind I kept thinking that I wanted to go with the 35W HIDs that's what I had in my 05 and they worked great plenty of light etc. So I ordered a set with the canbus ballast because it developed more lumens than the cheap ones.

The new system came in today and I installed it.

Before I post any pictures of the new install, I did make some interesting discoveries on the 55W system. I switched the ballasts, then igniters, and then bulbs from the side that was working and everything worked. Then I tried the individual components from the side that wasn't working and they worked. The only thing that I can think of is that one of the plugs must have been loose. Incidentally the double stick tape that held the ballasts to the side of the headlamp housing failed and both ballasts where hanging down on their wires.

I removed the 55W system components and installed the 35W system. The 35W system does not use separate igniters for the bulbs, they are built into the ballast. The ballast I mounted by using three small sheet metal screws that I coated with silicone and then drove them in being careful not to strip them. I used the same gray waterproof rubber duct tape to seal the opening where the wires pass through the housing. I checked the headlamps to make sure they were working and then I reinstalled them.

When it get's dark enough outside I'm going to take it for a ride to see if I notice a difference. I also raised the right hand headlamp up because it has always felt like it was pointing too low.

View attachment 21074
View attachment 21077

View attachment 21075
View attachment 21076

Lol same crap with mine....except theyre 35s.

One of the ballasts is going "lazy", sometimes doesnt ignite the bulb (i know this cuz i already swapped bulbs)

But Im blaming myself, putting like 1000 hours of always-on operation on them (got lazy wired it kinda oddly, headlights flicker in DRL mode unless set to fully on)...AND my habit of double--tapping at traffic signals, since mine is wired up with no highbeams whatsoever and pulling the stalk instead cuts all power to lights until released...

I've GOT to tease you brother.....how much you into those headlights now???? Hmmmm????

I've got 35 bucks into my LEDS!

Relax brother, I'm just yanking at the chain hanging right in front of me!!

If I can't f*ck with my friend, who can I f with??

jeff

My 35w HID kit was $29 i think....35 bucks that better be some posh LEDs

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeff its only money. :D Fortunately I returned the LEDs that I tried and didn't work for me for a full refund. I'll probably sell the 55W set eventually. so for right now I'm into it for about $225.

Gah....ouch. pleeeeease tell me you didnt buy from autozone or a lighting shop?

Stateside brick and mortar businesses sell 5 years outdated rebadged bottom of the barrel china junk...at 10-20x markup

Buy on amazon. If you dont abuse a $30 hid kit, it should last you far longer than 1000 hours, which if you dont drive nights much could mean the lifetime of the car...compare to Sylvania stated halogen life = 300 hours for the dim yellow ones, 100 hours for midrange, and JUST 65 hours(!!!) for the 70-80 buck bright white halogen top of the line kit...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the GTR Lighting GEN 3 Ultra Series LED Headlight Bulbs - 9005 / HB3 for high beams?

-- Chuck

If you have halfdecent aftermarket HID on a tall truck, what on earth do you want high beams for???

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Andy,
Just got back from my first road trip in my Expy (16.8 MPG @ 78 MPH when I could, a/c @ 70, two adults & three kids, big cargo carrier on top, and five bikes on the back -- not too shabby), and had my first extensive experience driving it at night. The halogens just aren't cutting it! Even my wife asked at one point, "Are your headlights on?"

Can you point me to the 35w HIDs you installed?

Thanks,
Vinnie

For low nighttime usage and no flashing at drivers with their lights off or traffic signals like i do , $30 amazon "Innovited" 35w HID kit will probably last you a lifetime.

Just get 4300k or 5000k, my first bulbs were 6000k cause that set shipped faster --- and they were obnoxiously white....

Then again, with bulbs for 9-10 bucks a pair, you can experiment.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are my headlamps, normal low beams, and high beams. The truck is about 20' feet from the wall roughly in these pictures. The truck is pointing slightly down hill.

Low Beams:

View attachment 21181

High Beams:

View attachment 21182

HiDs in stock projector housings look almost as rude as stock reflector hid kits... you call that a clear cutoff? Thats a ******* fireball hotspot at the top edge, right in opposing traffics eyes

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HiDs in stock projector housings look almost as rude as stock reflector hid kits... you call that a clear cutoff? Thats a ******* fireball hotspot at the top edge, right in opposing traffics eyes
If I had a high end camera and not a cheap phone camera you could see what they really look like. To the naked eye, there is a clear cutoff line but I was a little too close to the building and I didn't have a tape measure to measure. When driving there is a very clear cutoff and now that I adjusted them, they project pretty far down the road.

Neilster1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Vinnie,

Sounds like you got great mileage with that load! :D One thing that I found is from the factory, the headlamps are pointed at the ground and don't throw the lights very far, so even with the HIDs, you are going to have to raise them way up to get the kind of performance you want. Ask me how I know. :)

Here is the link to the site where I bought my HIDs. This is a very good company. https://www.xenonhids.com/9005-single-beam-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html

I ordered the 9005 with the 5000K color it is the bright white color and it matched the LED fog lights (if that is important). I also went with the 35W Canbus ballasts and didn't get the cancellers or the relay kit. You don't really need it unless you want to install it. This picture is how I ordered them. When you go to that link, you will have to make the selections. These are the ones that I made:

View attachment 21180

I bought and just installed this set. Easiest HID install I've ever done. No flip-flopping plugs, DIY relay harness mess.. just map out your install, plug and play. Thanks for the recommendation!

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like Sylvania Ultra halogens are the best quick fix. Like they were in my '07. Read several web article on light pattern problems with most LEDs.

-- Chuck
Sylvania halogens worked out good for you? I’m thinking of getting some for my 16’