2017 Limited with load air noises coming thru the door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Widen

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Limited and the front passenger doors is incredibly loud when traveling at highway speeds. Air seems to coming through the door gap or the window. I have NO leak issues, only air. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

iaazan

Reaction score
Same here, interested. Weatherstripping maybe? I don't notice it unless it's usually a crosswind.

Plati

Reaction score
I wonder if someone stood outside with a leaf blower … pointed at various locations around the door … if you could feel air blowing through to inside? I'd open a back door other side to allow pressure to normalize. Don't see how it could hurt. A smoking cigar might be a tracer.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is the top corner where it leaks. My 17 has done it off the lot. The Dealership Body ship adjusted the door and made it better, also I added some additional stripping. Still louder than our 15 was. You can see where the door corner does not bend in as much as it should. I have plans to try a different stripping when it stops raining and gets a little warmer where I live.

To clarify, it does not leak water, but that is where the air tunnel is that creates the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 17 does it as well, both front doors but no water leaks either. I believe the issue is actually the window seal, there were several posts awhile back about this but good luck getting your dealer to cover this under warranty. They all say it's normal but I've driven some that were silent so I know it is not normal. The window seal I think is around $100 so not a trivial expense to try out on a whim. Some people were getting small diameter surgical tubing and putting it up inside the window seal then rolling up the window to push it into place. I never tried this either as it's my wife's car and she never notices the noise. If it were my daily driver, it'd drive me bonkers that a $50k truck made that much wind noise at the windows. I can hear it at any speed above 50mph.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the tubing idea is what i had to do to the bus on the basement doors to keep the seals "puffed" and provide better contact.
it worked like a champ.
so sliding small diameter tubing up through the factory bulb seal may very well work for the issue.
my passenger door was "smoothed" when i bought it as i had a small issue with the fitment. they "adjusted it"
we have no objectionable noise or leaks.

Richard Mickelson

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Expidation Limited. I have a wind noise at the front passenger door, I think its the door seal leaking? Any thought on how to fix this would be appreciated.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Expidation Limited. I have a wind noise at the front passenger door, I think its the door seal leaking? Any thought on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Try to figure where, then see if you have a tear or a worn out door seal. Most likely in an 8 year old truck the door seal just needs replacing, because it has lost its bounce or it has a tear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, and never wrecked or damaged.

Since new, the RF door sounds as though there is an air leak. It does not leak any water. To this day, at times the air leak is so loud, I attempt to raise the RF window because it sounds as though the widow glass is slightly lowered. It isn’t.

This must be a poor design flaw and/or poor assembly by the Kentucky Truck Plant.

Z4Mguy

Reaction score
Can anyone post a picture of where they put surgical tubing to improve the seals? Also what size did you use? I hear wind noise from my drivers door (upper rear of door), particularly at 60mph and above.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpember1990