2017 - No Key Detected After Dead Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have not driven the 2017 truck in a few weeks and inadvertently left the radar detector on. FOB battery is good, put Jump pack on truck, lights on, hatch opens and closes, but getting NO Key detected.

What is the problem and how do I get around it? TIA.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have not driven the 2017 truck in a few weeks and inadvertently left the radar detector on. FOB battery is good, put Jump pack on truck, lights on, hatch opens and closes, but getting NO Key detected.

What is the problem and how do I get around it? TIA.

Read your owner's manual. There is a process to use the intelligent key fob in a slot inside the console to start the vehicle.

That process is often used for a dead key fob battery - but should work to try to start the engine.

If that process doesn't work - they perhaps try disconnecting, then reconnecting, the negative battery terminal connector?

I'd bet you have a defective battery, even though it has some juice to operate some accessories.

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
‘99‘ as usual, your initial diagnosis was correct. Battery failure.

I was blind to this possibility because the battery is less than 2 years old, replaced in 10/2021 because the OEM positive battery terminal was leaking acid - well documented here in a post from that time.

Disconnected the battery and put it on my charger for an hour. Reconnected. key FOB recognized, accessories ran, but clicking on start request.

Took it to the local dealer I got it from, they didn’t believe a less than 2 year old battery failed. Told them I tried to charge and would not take. They said we will need to charge and test ourselves.

OK, I got stuff to do, will come back in 2 hours. When I returned, the new replacement was waiting for me.

Thanks again “99” you wiped the “can’t be the battery“ fog from my eyes!

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is somewhat concerning that these batteries can’t be relied on for even 2 years of service.

I installed the same Motocraft 850 battery in my 2011 Expy in mid 2019. That battery failed last December, (3.5Y) when suddenly with no warning it went dead and would not take a charge.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is somewhat concerning that these batteries can’t be relied on for even 2 years of service.

I installed the same Motocraft 850 battery in my 2011 Expy in mid 2019. That battery failed last December, (3.5Y) when suddenly with no warning it went dead and would not take a charge.

It has been my experience for quite some time that OEM batteries (Ford, GM & Stellantis) usually last 3-4 years. I don’t buy off-brand or cheap batteries, so I have no experience with them.

Modern batteries often fail suddenly, with no warning (such as slow crank, lights dimming, etc.).

I live in the Midwest with sub-zero winters and 90+ degree summers. That is hard on the battery.

I replace the batteries in my family’s vehicles every 3-4 years with the OEM battery (not an off-brand) as a matter of vehicle maintenance. I would rather replace a battery in my driveway in 60 degree sunny weather, than sub-zero weather at Christmas time when it is snowing.

My fall vehicle maintenance also includes inspecting the battery terminal connectors and posts, removing and cleaning the terminals, and adding anti-corrosion pads to the terminal post batteries.

I had Corvettes for decades and would store them in the winter. I connected a Battery Tender float-charger to the battery, which kept it in good shape.

I’ve found that modern car batteries are often damaged if discharged even once, such as what happened with your vehicle.

My first paid job with a business was at age 15 - at the local filling station. In addition to light mechanical work and full-service gas service, we replaced car and light truck batteries. Then, the battery was shipped dry and we had to add sulfuric acid to the battery when it was installed. Then, the batteries could often be fully discharged and recharged repeatedly, and they would be good as new. Not any more.

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has been my experience for quite some time that OEM batteries (Ford, GM & Stellantis) usually last 3-4 years. I don’t buy off-brand or cheap batteries, so I have no experience with them.

Modern batteries often fail suddenly, with no warning (such as slow crank, lights dimming, etc.).

I live in the Midwest with sub-zero winters and 90+ degree summers. That is hard on the battery.

I replace the batteries in my family’s vehicles every 3-4 years with the OEM battery (not an off-brand) as a matter of vehicle maintenance. I would rather replace a battery in my driveway in 60 degree sunny weather, than sub-zero weather at Christmas time when it is snowing.

My fall vehicle maintenance also includes inspecting the battery terminal connectors and posts, removing and cleaning the terminals, and adding anti-corrosion pads to the terminal post batteries.

I had Corvettes for decades and would store them in the winter. I connected a Battery Tender float-charger to the battery, which kept it in good shape.

I’ve found that modern car batteries are often damaged if discharged even once, such as what happened with your vehicle.

My first paid job with a business was at age 15 - at the local filling station. In addition to light mechanical work and full-service gas service, we replaced car and light truck batteries. Then, the battery was shipped dry and we had to add sulfuric acid to the battery when it was installed. Then, the batteries could often be fully discharged
I also worked in a “service station” (where they all provided full mechanical service as well as gas) where there was a wall of dry batteries and a stack of bag-in-a box acid packs. You are correct in that these batteries would take multiple deep cycle recharges and when they were getting old, they would signal by slow cranking, not just dropping dead.

I, like you, only buy OEM batteries and usually increase the CCA rating when available In the same frame size. I have to agree that 1 discharge to dead seems to spell the death knell of these modern batteries.

In this case, it was accidentally leaving the radar detector on. In the case of my 2011, one day it just decided not to crank and would not take a charge.

I guess, Im going to start making a battery change at 3 years as part of my maintenance procedures - and hope they last even that long.

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not that it matters, because what we have now is what we need to deal with, but these modern batteries don't feel any lighter than the ones from back in the day once they were filled.

I don't believe they are shipped to the dealer wet, which is the reason you can't purchase a Motorcraft or other battery from one of the online sellers and have it shipped. These batteries do not appear to be truly sealed, the filling ports, once snapped shut, are not openable or easily opened.

So, if they are the same led acid batteries and weigh about the same, why the negative change in functionality and how long they generally last?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not that it matters, because what we have now is what we need to deal with, but these modern batteries don't feel any lighter than the ones from back in the day once they were filled.

I don't believe they are shipped to the dealer wet, which is the reason you can't purchase a Motorcraft or other battery from one of the online sellers and have it shipped. These batteries do not appear to be truly sealed, the filling ports, once snapped shut, are not openable or easily opened.

So, if they are the same led acid batteries and weigh about the same, why the negative change in functionality and how long they generally last?

Good question.

I’m not sure - perhaps all the electrical equipment on a modern vehicle?

My first car was a 1965 Chevrolet Chevrolet Malibu 2-door with the straight-6 engine and 3-speed manual transmission. No power equipment - not even a radio.

I recall being able to jump start the vehicle with a dead battery by coasting downhill, or having someone push the vehicle.

Now most vehicle have a massive amount of electrical equipment and computer modules, which are very sensitive to electrical issues.

Maybe someone who is involved in the vehicle battery industry will chime-in?

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting comparison. When the battery in my 2011 went dead late last year, my JNC 660 easily started it, but after driving it a half hour it would not start or click.

With the 2017 car this week, same 850 battery and JNC660, it would not allow the key to be recognized or after charging and the key recognized, it would not start. I blame the massive amount of battery management hardware attached to the positive terminal on the 2017 for this, but cant back it up with any engineering information.