2017 with dreaded paint issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although the corrosion shown in post #16 is not aluminum panel corrosion, Ford has been aware of the aluminum panel corrosion for YEARS. Thus, the yearly TSB, which is updated with the new model years and models.

It is my belief that Ford made a business decision years ago to “live with” the aluminum panel corrosion, and repair the panels where the owner complained long and hard enough, instead of identifying the root problem and fixing it.

Ford must have decided it would be cheaper to repair a estimated number of panels, instead of implementing a process to eliminate the corrosion (while vehicles were still covered under the new-car warranty).

What Ford probably was unable to put a dollar figure on was the amount of ill-will generated with their customers, poor-quality perception of their product, and customers that will not buy another Ford with aluminum panels.

It is clear that Ford has no interest in continuous improvement and quality issues concerning the decades-old aluminum panel corrosion issue.

I think these automakers do exactly as you mention. They look at what it costs to implement a fix or just pay out on some that complain enough. It reminds me of GM and their known front end suspension issues on full size vehicles, my father after multiple vans got so fed up with GM poor quality and service he switched to Ford vans. While the Ford chassis proved to hold up much better to abuse the E-Series was discontinued in 2014. He decided to try another GMC van and now at 28,000 miles it already needs ball joints and a wheel bearing. The Ford E-Series had much better QC and didn’t need front end work until 100k miles typically. My aunt purchased a 2015 Yukon Denali new in late 2014...same problems with multiple front end related failures, namely CV axles right after the basic warranty expired and had to pay. As you all say, cheaper to deny.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think these automakers do exactly as you mention. They look at what it costs to implement a fix or just pay out on some that complain enough. It reminds me of GM with their known suspension issues on full size vehicles. My father always had issues with front ends on his full size vans, so much so he switched to Ford...while Ford faired much better to abuse they stopped making the E-Series in 2014. My aunt purchased a new 2015 Yukon Denali in late 2014. The front end has went thru multiple ball joints, tie rods, and CV axles in 90,000 miles. These companies do a cost/benefit analysis and we get the short end.
This is the normal operation of a warranty program. When it costs more to fix it under a warranty than it does to change the design is when it gets fixed.

About the CBA...you (not you personally...speaking of people at large) don't get the short end until the warranty expires. If you question the length or coverage of a manufacturers warranty, or the quality of the design and assembly, don't buy the product to start with. This is the concept that I think a lot of folks don't grasp. They spend a big wad of cash on something and expect nothing to break until such time in their own minds that its okay for stuff to start breaking.

And concerning quality, both Ford and GM have come a long way in the last 30 years. It used to be a warranty didn't cover crap, and you had to prove you didn't abuse the vehicle, you maintained it as directed (service departments used to have a stamp that they would use to mark your service record in your owners manual with...no stamp?....no warranty), and the warranties were 1-2 years/12/24k miles. Now you can get warranties out to 100k+ miles, with no records required. That alone indicates a big increase in the quality and durability of the products.

Having said all that, one thing hasn't changed and never will: Shit happens.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt quality has went up I agree. My 2007 will be 13 years old in January....the truck has held up exceptionally for 150,000 miles and the age all things considered. It looks like a new vehicle still (no rust, interior in perfect shape, etc) speaks volumes on how far they’ve come. I see 20 year old Expeditions rolling around in the rust belt all the time and many still look fine. My dad has always said when he was a kid the doors rusted off in 5 years, now they last 25 years before that.
3C004DD9-9D29-49A6-A18D-4A1D8390DEE9.jpeg

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although the corrosion shown in post #16 is not aluminum panel corrosion, Ford has been aware of the aluminum panel corrosion for YEARS. Thus, the yearly TSB, which is updated with the new model years and models.

It is my belief that Ford made a business decision years ago to “live with” the aluminum panel corrosion, and repair the panels where the owner complained long and hard enough, instead of identifying the root problem and fixing it.

Ford must have decided it would be cheaper to repair a estimated number of panels, instead of implementing a process to eliminate the corrosion (while vehicles were still covered under the new-car warranty).

What Ford probably was unable to put a dollar figure on was the amount of ill-will generated with their customers, poor-quality perception of their product, and customers that will not buy another Ford with aluminum panels.

It is clear that Ford has no interest in continuous improvement and quality issues concerning the decades-old aluminum panel corrosion issue.

So what is that if not aluminum panel corrosion?
It is bubbling of paint off of aluminum or corrosion forming after painting raising up the surface area.
What am I missing?

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went to the local dealer today. The first thing he asked me was, "Where did you buy it?". Not a good start.

He then did a thorough inspection and found another spot I hadn't noticed on the passenger side rear door. To me, that was an indication that it was an issue arising from the original painting at the factory.

He took lots of pics and said he would submit the claim. I had a clear indication, though he didn't say it directly, that Ford would not cover it.

In a few days I hope to get a report back and will post the results. Fingers crossed.

Apollo02exp

Reaction score
I bought a new 2017 Limited in 2018 that had been sitting on the lot for a year. I've owned a few earlier Expeditions over the years and each one had paint issues on the front edge of the hood, the liftgate, or sometimes in both places.

Recently I discovered a tennis ball-sized patch of bubbled up paint on the pillar of the driver's side passenger door. Damn, I was hoping Ford had fixed that by now.

I've read horror stories on this forum from Expy owners getting little or no help from Ford on this issue.
My mileage and age on this vehicle are well under the warranty limits but I dread taking it to my dealer because I'm thinking they will say Ford doesn't cover it.

Any ideas on what I should expect?

thanks, Peter

Apollo02exp

Reaction score
I definitely suggest you bringing your Expedition back to Ford regarding the paint deformation. It is absolutely covered under the manufacturer warranty.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be honest that picture looks like orange peel. A little more severe than what I'm use to seeing. I wouldn't want it repainted, but sanded/polished/buffed, etc. On the drivers side I think most would have noticed well within a year.

If your dealership has an on-site body shop, thats who you should be dealing with, not the "quick-lube & all other repairs" service drive adviser.

In taking various vehicles to many different Ford dealers over the years for warranty and non-warranty work, I've never once been asked where I purchased it. Notta once. You interpretation may have been received as "we only help those who help us" but in reality he probably is a lazy shit and hopes that your name/address/VIN are already in his dealerships computer so he doesn't have to type it.

Apollo02exp

Reaction score
I bought a new 2017 Limited in 2018 that had been sitting on the lot for a year. I've owned a few earlier Expeditions over the years and each one had paint issues on the front edge of the hood, the liftgate, or sometimes in both places.

Recently I discovered a tennis ball-sized patch of bubbled up paint on the pillar of the driver's side passenger door. Damn, I was hoping Ford had fixed that by now.

I've read horror stories on this forum from Expy owners getting little or no help from Ford on this issue.
My mileage and age on this vehicle are well under the warranty limits but I dread taking it to my dealer because I'm thinking they will say Ford doesn't cover it.

Any ideas on what I should expect?

thanks, Peter

Apollo02exp

Reaction score
Regardless if you puchaed a 2017 leftover brand new in 2018 it's still considered brand new.
In this day and age with the use of social media and google reviews if for some reason they don't stand behind their products just complain or threaten them until they do.

In addition, Ford covers paint damage on new vehicles due to airborne material — outside of factory defects and warranty terms — for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first). New vehicles are also covered by a five-year, unlimited mileage corrosion warranty that covers paint damage beyond the three-year bumper-to-bumper warranty period, provided the paint damage is due to corrosion that results in perforation (holes) in the vehicle body. If the corrosion has not perforated the vehicle, paint damage is not covered beyond three years or 36,000 miles.

If you purchase a new Ford vehicle, warranties will protect against factory defects and corrosion paint damage that is not due to normal use or environmental conditions for three years or 36,000 miles, paint damage due to airborne materials for 12 months or 12,000 miles, and corrosion that results in holes for five years (unlimited miles). However, extended warranties and Ford certified pre-owned vehicle warranties do not include paint coverage.