2017 XLT towing package upgrade questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recently picked up a clean one owner 2017 EL XLT after being without my 98 EB for a few years. Love it so far. It doesn't have the HD tow package, and I really want to add a factory trailer brake controller and enable it through forscan. I would also like to add a transmission cooler, since I'll be towing my 6k pound camper with my Expy. I'm reading lots of information, but feel like I'm missing a few important pieces that keep me from buying the parts I need and getting them installed.

First, the trailer brake controller. I've got the correct part number for it, and installation seems easy enough. What I'm unsure of is the forscan part. I've read and seen others install them in other years, and other trucks, but I can't find the IPC codes specific to my 2017. There's a google doc link that's been posted, but it's no longer a working link. Does anyone have the two codes required to get the brake controller working in my 2017? There are some other things I'd like to tweak (remote start if possible and others), but I really just need the codes for the brake controller for now.

The second part is the transmission cooler. I have searched and read a hundred pages, and don't have the exact info required. Bigfishfin listed the parts he used, but one of the part numbers wasn't complete. He had a photo and list....just 4 parts to add a factory trans cooler. I want to get the right parts the first time and not hassle with returns and waiting for new parts to arrive.

If anyone has some good info or insight, I would be so grateful! Thanks for taking the time to read this and help a fellow Expedition enthusiast.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/install-oem-brake-controller-on-my-2017-expy.37376/

This lists the steps and there is a picture of the FORScan spreadsheet in the background of one of the photos. I couldn’t see what you are changing the value to, but you can see the module addresses and what you are changing them from. Might be able to read what values he has posted in the pics to figure out the “to”. Hopefully someone with the spreadsheet saved will chime in. I have no idea where my computer with the spreadsheet saved is.

@Bigfishfin parts that I can see listed were:
  • BL3Z-7B028-C
  • Part:Lower Return Tube

FL1Z-7C410-A
Part: Auto Transmission Oil Cooler Tube

• 7L1Z-7A095-B
  • Part:Trans Cooler

The 4th part he says somewhere else was a spare I thought, but based on the parts diagrams, if it is anything other than that, it would most likely be BL3Z-7B028–A Lower Return Pipe. In the pics he posted, I only see the two tubes and the cooler, not three tubes, but maybe I’m missing something. With luck he will see this and help refine it.

OP
OP
thenaaks

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but the problem is that there's just enough info missing (or that I just can seem to find) to prevent me from having a warm, fuzzy feeling about getting the job 100% done and not messing up anything with forscan. The tutorial posted above is great, except that I can't read the IPC code and changes required. I think I've got the trans cooler figured out. I really do appreciate everyone's help!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offwego

Reaction score
I also have a 2017 XLT and programmed the factory brake control after finding the instructions on the F150 forum. I would post the link but have had a computer crash since then and lost my links.. There is a lot more info on that site, look for some spread sheets with many options for forscan. The F150 and Expy share the same engine and many components.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but the problem is that there's just enough info missing (or that I just can seem to find) to prevent me from having a warm, fuzzy feeling about getting the job 100% done and not messing up anything with forscan. The tutorial posted above is great, except that I can't read the IPC code and changes required. I think I've got the trans cooler figured out. I really do appreciate everyone's help!

Sorry for not responding earlier, was out in NE Oregon with my trailer...Fun!
The parts listed by "ALLBOOST"" are correct and the only other part I ordered but did not use is the plastic Pressure Line Connector 9L8Z-7Z465-A, purely because they are nylon and I figured I would break one...there are two used. BTW, I used and aftermarket electric brake controller and that works perfectly well with no programming...Good luck!...

Belias21

Reaction score
Recently picked up a clean one owner 2017 EL XLT after being without my 98 EB for a few years. Love it so far. It doesn't have the HD tow package, and I really want to add a factory trailer brake controller and enable it through forscan. I would also like to add a transmission cooler, since I'll be towing my 6k pound camper with my Expy. I'm reading lots of information, but feel like I'm missing a few important pieces that keep me from buying the parts I need and getting them installed.

First, the trailer brake controller. I've got the correct part number for it, and installation seems easy enough. What I'm unsure of is the forscan part. I've read and seen others install them in other years, and other trucks, but I can't find the IPC codes specific to my 2017. There's a google doc link that's been posted, but it's no longer a working link. Does anyone have the two codes required to get the brake controller working in my 2017? There are some other things I'd like to tweak (remote start if possible and others), but I really just need the codes for the brake controller for now.

The second part is the transmission cooler. I have searched and read a hundred pages, and don't have the exact info required. Bigfishfin listed the parts he used, but one of the part numbers wasn't complete. He had a photo and list....just 4 parts to add a factory trans cooler. I want to get the right parts the first time and not hassle with returns and waiting for new parts to arrive.

If anyone has some good info or insight, I would be so grateful! Thanks for taking the time to read this and help a fellow Expedition enthusiast.

Did you ever install the trans cooler? I ordered the parts for my 2017 but haven’t attempted to tackle it yet.
Just curious how it went.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score

@LokiWolf so mostly I have not found that you need to use the code a lot but can use the easyconfig section. You can try that. Also here is the code list from the other forum I am in on here.

Attachments

• FORScan Codes-Expedition - 2015-2017.pdf
    104.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
thenaaks

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you ever install the trans cooler? I ordered the parts for my 2017 but haven’t attempted to tackle it yet.
Just curious how it went.
I haven't yet. Been busy with work and garage is too cluttered to get in there. I will update when I do!