2018 Expedition LED headlight conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Alex Lou

Reaction score
Anyone has a picture of before and after with HID shot of the headlight beam on the wall at 20'? I have a lighting guru for years, I sell HID and LED. I never suggest anyone put LED in halogen projector due to the fact the LED design to have two LED on each side and the heatsink, you don't get the complete 360 light output to oppose to a standard halogen or HID bulb works the same way but brighter. Yes LED will works, brighter than halogen, but the beam may decrease, you may have the best output with HID route. If you want to go LED, you'll need to do the whole LED projector retrofit from another OEM pull.

Good to know. Thanks!

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone has a picture of before and after with HID shot of the headlight beam on the wall at 20'? I have a lighting guru for years, I sell HID and LED. I never suggest anyone put LED in halogen projector due to the fact the LED design to have two LED on each side and the heatsink, you don't get the complete 360 light output to oppose to a standard halogen or HID bulb works the same way but brighter. Yes LED will works, brighter than halogen, but the beam may decrease, you may have the best output with HID route. If you want to go LED, you'll need to do the whole LED projector retrofit from another OEM pull.
I’ve seen the HIDs constantly burning out which is why I went with LEDs

taaangy234

Reaction score
I’ve seen the HIDs constantly burning out which is why I went with LEDs
If you use proper name brand kit, they should last just like OEM HID, look for Morimoto XB series kit from TRS, as for me I pair their bulb with OEM Denso Ballast or some Hella Gen OEM ballast uses on BMW, you may find many used OEM ballast for cheap, or go to junkyard even cheaper. I had used the expensive Osram CBI on a couples of my retrofit when I invested, but then I gave the cheap $45 Morimoto a tried and that's all I have on all my cars now and sold to few customers with great feedback.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you use proper name brand kit, they should last just like OEM HID, look for Morimoto XB series kit from TRS, as for me I pair their bulb with OEM Denso Ballast or some Hella Gen OEM ballast uses on BMW, you may find many used OEM ballast for cheap, or go to junkyard even cheaper. I had used the expensive Osram CBI on a couples of my retrofit when I invested, but then I gave the cheap $45 Morimoto a tried and that's all I have on all my cars now and sold to few customers with great feedback.

I’ve only ever had diode Dynamics SL1s. Saw too many ppl with complaints about several different high quality brand names of HIDs failing

taaangy234

Reaction score
I’ve only ever had diode Dynamics SL1s. Saw too many ppl with complaints about several different high quality brand names of HIDs failing
I'll see how that goes when I get mine Expedition next week and first thing will be HID.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put HID's in my last 2 cars, and they're on the original bulbs after 160,000 miles and 8 years in my wife current daily beater. They are crazy bright, far brighter than many of todays LED's! These were $150 sets, so not sure if that's a cheap or expensive kit.....

OP
OP
A

Alex Lou

Reaction score
I put HID's in my last 2 cars, and they're on the original bulbs after 160,000 miles and 8 years in my wife current daily beater. They are crazy bright, far brighter than many of todays LED's! These were $150 sets, so not sure if that's a cheap or expensive kit.....

Do u recall the brand?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986