2018 Expedition LED headlight conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm trying to get spooled up on all the discussion pertaining to the "projection headlights" and what sounds like much discontent about both the design and operation on newer year Expeditions. My wife and I both drive 2006 cars; a 2500 CTD and a Honda CRV... so our reference point is likely skewed.

Is the issue more that the OEM lamps do not provide sufficient lumens or that the auto-dimming (cutoff) is too far out leaving excessive distance with low beam until the oncoming vehicle passes? I'm pretty sure the lamps in out current vehicles are halogen and they seem to work well - neither has an auto-dim feature. My Dodge will not allow both the driving lights and hi-beams to be on at the same time. You have to manually hold the high beam switch to do so.

It seems nuts that folks spending $50-70K on a vehicle need to "upgrade" headlights so they work well.

Breaker

Reaction score
Just changed out my XLT's bulbs yesterday. They are way brighter now with the LED's. The manual was way wrong for mine, the low's were the HB3s and the highs were HB9s. Luckily, the HB9 is classified the same as the H11 and HB8.

Khaled

Reaction score
Just changed out my XLT's bulbs yesterday. They are way brighter now with the LED's. The manual was way wrong for mine, the low's were the HB3s and the highs were HB9s. Luckily, the HB9 is classified the same as the H11 and HB8.
can you post some pic ? im looking to change my poor halogens , looking to buy morimoto 2stroke led for low , hight and fogs

Breaker

Reaction score
I can this weekend. I am also changing all other bulbs over to led this weekend as well. Front and back. And BTW, I used Hikari bulbs for my low and high beams. $180 for both sets.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 03 Navigator has HIDs and they are the best headlights of any car I've ever owned because HIDs Rock. But then people tell me that those are nothing compared to what else is out there and by today's standards. How much light do we need to drive a car down the road?

My 2018 Limited has the HID headlights. I haven't had a chance to use them as yet as I stopped while still daylight on my way back from picking the car up in CO Tuesday. From what I hear, they tend to make things a slight blue color. I just hope they last a long time - replacement bulbs are getting $$$.

taaangy234

Reaction score
Anyone experiencing Automatic light stays on during daytime with LED? I had HID before which just flickers but stays on with LED. On the dash shows the lights are off but it's not. If I want my light off with DRL on during daytime to have a better vision for other peoples that I'm behind them. I have to manually turn to park-like to keep DRL on, but it has to be turned off manually otherwise it'll stay on till it drained out the battery and kills the bulb life.