2018 Expedition LED headlight conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stock low beam halogens are in a projector housing, while the high beams are reflectors. The stock Philips halogens are terrible. The Silverstars are a big improvement and contrary to some beliefs, the quality LED's perform very well in the Expeditions projector housing. My understanding is that members running HID's are also very satisfied with them. As bad as they are, the Expedition headlights are better than the stock Explorer headlights that use a single projector with a 9005 bulb with a shutter that changes the beam pattern when selecting high beam.
On the older Explorers, yes. I have the same setup with my Lincoln MKT. HID's in projector housings that use a shutter to toggle between lo and high beams. The newer Exploders have LED headlamps in reflector housings that are also used as DRL's.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone have an issue with the light switch in any position other than automatic? When exit the vehicle and lock, the light will remains on until your battery drain? Why is this still in 2019 these days?
If the switch is on headlights the system should shut of after ten minutes, however it will not shut off if the switch is on parking lights.
From the Owners Manual,
Battery Saver
If you leave the courtesy lamps, interior
lamps or headlamps on, the battery saver
shuts them off 10 minutes after you switch
the ignition off.
The parking lamps operate with the ignition
on or off.

taaangy234

Reaction score
Hummm… 10min seems a bit long, I though I stopped by the pet store for at least 10mins and walked out to the car still see the headlight on. On my Honda and Legacy auto turn off set to 1~3mins. I need to test again and see if there's an option to change it to like 1~3mins.

Update: After reading the manual, I found this, I don't know why this is not set by default.

HEADLAMP EXIT DELAY After you switch the ignition off, you can switch the headlamps on by pulling the direction indicator lever toward you. You will hear a short tone. The headlamps will switch off automatically after three minutes with any door open or 30 seconds after the last door has been closed. You can cancel this feature by pulling the direction indicator toward you again or switching the ignition on.

Last edited:

Lukewang01

Reaction score
Does anyone have an issue with the light switch in any position other than automatic? When exit the vehicle and lock, the light will remains on until your battery drain? Why is this still in 2019 these days?
It stays on for a little while then it turns off eventually. I believe it's about 10 mins?

Lukewang01

Reaction score
By the way. Does anyone had some luck with changing the front turn signals? I tried from the access flap in the wheel well and the cover from the engine bay and they were both too hard to reach.

taaangy234

Reaction score
By the way. Does anyone had some luck with changing the front turn signals? I tried from the access flap in the wheel well and the cover from the engine bay and they were both too hard to reach.
Front turn signal is a 7443 bulb, you may need to cut trace which wire is the signal and cut it and put a resister in between to prevent hyper flash if you install LED. You can gain access to it from the hood, but you need a helper with small hand.

a1.PNG

But! looking at the wire, looks like it only two small wire. I believe that the bulb is feeding low voltage as DRL light and blink at 12-14v when you use your signal. So If you going to use LED the DRL will not be sufficient to turn the LED on, may only works when you trigger signal. In my case I did try install a pair of VLEDS 7444 and it did stay lid as DRL but doesn't blink.

Last edited:

Lukewang01

Reaction score
Front turn signal is a 7443 bulb, you may need to cut trace which wire is the signal and cut it and put a resister in between to prevent hyper flash if you install LED. You can gain access to it from the hood, but you need a helper with small hand.

View attachment 31404

But! looking at the wire, looks like it only two small wire. I believe that the bulb is feeding low voltage as DRL light and blink at 12-14v when you use your signal. So If you going to use LED the DRL will not be sufficient to turn the LED on, may only works when you trigger signal. In my case I did try install a pair of VLEDS 7444 and it didn't stay lid as DRL but doesn't blink.
Thanks, I tried to remove the plastic cover piece on the very front that's directly above the headlight assembly. I saw that gap and then I knew I weren't able to do that. I got Lumen's can-bus compatible ones for both front and back. After switching to the led for the back it worked fine without a resistor on the outside, but it's hyper flashing on the dash.

taaangy234

Reaction score
Thanks, I tried to remove the plastic cover piece on the very front that's directly above the headlight assembly. I saw that gap and then I knew I weren't able to do that. I got Lumen's can-bus compatible ones for both front and back. After switching to the led for the back it worked fine without a resistor on the outside, but it's hyper flashing on the dash.

I made a correction: In my case I did try install a pair of VLEDS 7444 and it did stay lid as DRL but doesn't blink.

Lukewang01

Reaction score
I made a correction: In my case I did try install a pair of VLEDS 7444 and it did stay lid as DRL but doesn't blink.
Thanks, finally put that in after removing the whole plastic cover piece. The Lumen ones I got can output two brightness settings. It can stay lit with low beam and also flash as the turn signal.