2018 Expedition Max rental

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
metaldrgn

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just joined this forum because I’m looking to potentially purchase a new family hauler and after cross shopping the Expedition 4th gen is the best I have found. The proof that not everyone agrees with me is that GM is still selling a ton of their full size SUV’s, even with an imiment refresh. We all know about opinions...

One of the complaints of Ford appears to be the price point of the Expedition. Although everyone seems fixated on the Platininun and Limited’s pricing, Ford also offers a very nice XLT that is quite competitively priced. Someone asked why i don’t just by a Navi for just a slight bump above the Platinum. I personally like to go a little under the radar. I would argue that if you have $80k to spend on an SUV, the Ford optioned up is an incredible deal for a large family.

If I didn’t like an Expedition 4th Generation, I probably wouldn’t spend time on their forum. I own a Tesla and it amazes me how many people who have never even driven that car bash it on the TMC forum. Speaking of going under the radar, it is hard to do in the Tesl and I can’t wait until Ford or GM fully commits to electric. In the meanwhile, I don’t go on the Chevy Volt forum to tell them their car sucks.

So you only want good reviews that don't point out the negatives? Would that not be helpful when you are looking to buy to keep an eye out for instead of realizing it after the fact?

Anyone can sell anything for whatever they want. It's the buyers that are to blame honestly. The more that buy it at this ridiculous price, the more they will do it in the future. It's always been known that the SUV market was the most inflated while some of their cars I've heard they actually lose some money on. Internally, Ford could make changes, especially nowadays w/ the technological state we are at, to reduce their own costs to reduce inefficiencies to both lower the price for the consumer and still make a good profit.

Again, I've been here for many years I did like the Expedition and have owned multiple. The 4th gen just disappoints me. So that makes your argument invalid.

BTW, something else the bugs the hell out of me is the controls on the steering wheel. Do the engineers not understand button separation? It causes a steeper learning curve to make it muscle memory so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Mainly it's the cruise control buttons since I use them the most, but they are all a bit wonky. They need edge lips or something to let you know where you are and maybe some sort of tactile variation so it's easier to learn. I think they just need to redo the steering wheel entirely.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has received great review yes, but also note most every single review states it's priced at a level where euros often dominate and doesn't really quite seem to capture that price level shoppers interest.

As I have said numerous times, it's time for Ford to rebrand itself to something much "sexier".

There's a reason you won't find a single blue oval on the Mustangs......

On the other hand I also find the Alumiduty trucks (real trucks, not the Northerns version of "trucks" which are really SUVs) to be some of the worst designs I've seen since the 80's car crisis.
That is stupid to compare it to the euros. A kitted out X5 at $80k does not compete with an expedition platinum. Not even remotely. Euro offers no vehicle that compares to the size and space of this vehicle. If you are looking at expeditions and then go look at European SUVs you are compromising.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good friend of mine once said, ask yourself what's a car really worth when a dealership is willing to take $10k off just to make a sale.

From a value stand point, the raptors are a joke and the superdutys are no longer trucks.... they're Barbie and Kens grocery getter that will last 120k miles if they're lucky. There's a guy with a plat F450 alumiduty near me, and he was so proud of his $100k turd he custom plated it to "plat450".... really original amigo!

What makes you say they are no longer trucks? LOL! That’s ridiculous. 120k miles! Dude what are you smoking?

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
That is stupid to compare it to the euros. A kitted out X5 at $80k does not compete with an expedition platinum. Not even remotely. Euro offers no vehicle that compares to the size and space of this vehicle. If you are looking at expeditions and then go look at European SUVs you are compromising.

I don't think you understood what was said. I specifically said consumer price point, not offerings.

What makes you say they are no longer trucks? LOL! That’s ridiculous. 120k miles! Dude what are you smoking?

What's smoking are crappy powerstroke motors, cracked heads, clogged DPFs, DEF system failures, coolant leaks, oil leaks, sensor failures, glow plug failures, egr failures, all largely associated with 2 major faults. 1 it's a stock Ford diesel, 2 Ford diesels are driven largely by owners who should never own a diesel. Ford diesels are NOT popular for the motors, it's always been a glitter truck as I'd like to call it. Ya know, the rhinestone bedazzled hat with Hurley glasses types.

So when they say "built Ford tough", they're instantly telling you it's subpar for the simplest of truck tasks.

Great highway cruisers, and grocery getters for those fancy big shiney rims and lit up wheel well types!

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you understood what was said. I specifically said consumer price point, not offerings.

What's smoking are crappy powerstroke motors, cracked heads, clogged DPFs, DEF system failures, coolant leaks, oil leaks, sensor failures, glow plug failures, egr failures, all largely associated with 2 major faults. 1 it's a stock Ford diesel, 2 Ford diesels are driven largely by owners who should never own a diesel. Ford diesels are NOT popular for the motors, it's always been a glitter truck as I'd like to call it. Ya know, the rhinestone bedazzled hat with Hurley glasses types.

So when they say "built Ford tough", they're instantly telling you it's subpar for the simplest of truck tasks.

Great highway cruisers, and grocery getters for those fancy big shiney rims and lit up wheel well types!
LOL, dude you are a dodge guy!! Talk about a *************!! If it weren’t for the Cummins they would have never sold any. We’ve got a ‘16 f250 with almost 200k miles that towers a 14k lbs. trailer coast to coast site to site. Not a lick of trouble!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, dude you are a dodge guy!! Talk about a *************!! If it weren’t for the Cummins they would have never sold any. We’ve got a ‘16 f250 with almost 200k miles that towers a 14k lbs. trailer coast to coast site to site. Not a lick of trouble!

Buddy has an 2011 F-350 SD Dually 6.7L with 300,000 miles no issues other than a failed exhaust temp sensor. Also has a 6.2L gas V8 with 150,000 Miles zero issues to date. Both trucks strictly tow and the gas job plows as well. Original owner of both.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score

You know I wouldn't disagree!

The truck your talking makes the exception! Remember the issues mainly arise when they're not worked!

You have to realize, I'm taking shots at the Instagram diesel crowd primarily.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t wait until Ford or GM fully commits to electric.

I would be happy with hybrid tech for these larger SUV’s. I’d prefer hybrid when taking my trips into the woods for days on end, I can always carry a couple jerry cans or drive down for petrol if the need arises. My wife has a ‘09 Honda Fit but is beginning to research Tesla... if they would get the price down she’d bite.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW, something else the bugs the hell out of me is the controls on the steering wheel. Do the engineers not understand button separation? It causes a steeper learning curve to make it muscle memory so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Mainly it's the cruise control buttons since I use them the most, but they are all a bit wonky. They need edge lips or something to let you know where you are and maybe some sort of tactile variation so it's easier to learn. I think they just need to redo the steering wheel entirely.

I like the amount of controls on the wheel, I’m 10,000 miles in and can operate the cruise and audio without looking but I 100% agree with you about some type of variation to help with identifying them by touch. I’m not familiar with the expy wheel but the navi has buttons side by side and it can be easy to confuse the two from time to time.

ElliottM

Reaction score
By that I mean there are other vehicles I like more, but without going in depth to find out if there are any deal breakers in them. So I guess just some of the ones I would like more would be the Toyota Sequoia, Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3rd gen Expedition, 3rd gen Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade (Tahoe>Escalade>Yukon), maybe the Jeep Cherokee. There are probably some I'm missing, but I think that's enough.
A couple weeks ago I posted my own feedback on renting a 2018 Max Limited vs. the 2016 we own. I, too, hate the shifter dial. Feels too gimmicky.

I do take issue with OPs lumping all these SUVs as comparable to the Expy, especially the Max or EL. Can you find other 3rd row SUVs? Sure. Can an adult sit comfortably in the 3rd row for any length of time? Maybe. Can you fill all rows and carry any cargo in the rear? It's hard to beat the Expy for that. Oh, and by the way, can the SUV tow a 9000 pound trailer?

The bottom line is the Expy has warts in any generation - some of us just either do or don't care about the warts. But, IMHO, you can't beat the Expy for it's versatility. Best people/cargo/trailer hauler there is. Period.