2018 Expedition Max rental

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I had to rent a large SUV for a week and a half and ended up getting a 2018 Expedition Max. I really don't see why everyone is so crazy about it. I still don't like the exterior. The hood, since I'm looking at it more, is hideous. I don't like seeing it from the driver's seat. It looks a lot like the hood on the 201x GM trucks and just seems overly bulky. I do like the black interior. I don't know why it seems like so many vehicles don't have that for an option. The materials interior wise are nice, but nothing that great compared to other vehicles I've owned. Position and general feel seem very similar as my wife's '04 Expedition EB. I do like the seats (leather, I didn't see what package, but pretty sure it's the higher end). The ecoboost is nice. I like the performance. I don't mind that it isn't a v8. Some little bastard in a minicooper tried to change lanes and pass me in busy traffic right after a turn so I accelerated and he ended up just going behind me again (win!). The gas mileage is also good considering the performance. I can't stand the knob shifter (all the knob items for that matter). I think it's the worst one yet. I think those knobs in general just seem cheap, look ugly, and are less functional than their predecessors. The lay flat back is definitely a bonus. The instrument panel is ok. There's a lot of useless info and tools. Only a few items really help.

All in all I wouldn't buy one. Even money aside there are many other vehicles I would rather have. In the meantime I'm just going to stick with my used vehicles and save my money for things that will give me a greater return on my investment.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To each his own. I drove a rental silverado yesterday and i realized i hate column shifters lol. Id rather have my flat but out of sight, ergonomic and space efficient knob than a clumsy, inaccurate, plastic stick that juts out to the radio and blocks buttons. Looks are also objective. Love mines even with all her problems. Metal also named y im crazy bout mine too, the comfort, space, capability, speed and efficiency...seems like enough to be crazy about it most new cars dont even get that many great things.

Flexpy19

Reaction score
I rent cars for business travel and it never occurred to me to go on the enthusiast forum for the car I rented to say how average the car was. The OP might need a hobby.

OP
OP
metaldrgn

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey, the guy’s got moxie...

”Imma go onto the forum full of folks that drive and love this vehicle and tell them how ho-hum it is.”

If there were curse words or he declared how inferior it was to his 3rd Gen, I’d declare the return of JSki.

I'm just giving my review of the vehicle. I've always been a fan of the Expedition, but less and less because they put in minimal effort to make it better. I know why though. The buyer base is low compared to some of their other vehicles and effort is cost (among other things).

Also '04 is second gen. Third is '07-'17.

To each his own. I drove a rental silverado yesterday and i realized i hate column shifters lol. Id rather have my flat but out of sight, ergonomic and space efficient knob than a clumsy, inaccurate, plastic stick that juts out to the radio and blocks buttons. Looks are also objective. Love mines even with all her problems. Metal also named y im crazy bout mine too, the comfort, space, capability, speed and efficiency...seems like enough to be crazy about it most new cars dont even get that many great things.

Yeah I prefer the shifter on the console that goes back and forth. The position the column shifter is when in drive on my Yukon made it a nice place to rest your arm when playing with the stereo.

I rent cars for business travel and it never occurred to me to go on the enthusiast forum for the car I rented to say how average the car was. The OP might need a hobby.

I had posted my dislike of the 4th gens previously, but without actually having hands on experience I couldn't definitively give a great assessment. I could have fallen in love with this thing so I was giving it that chance. Now that I have I feel like I can and did so.

I would rather own a 2010 Tahoe Hybrid than this vehicle. Better gas mileage even though it would not have as much power.

Last edited:

Flexpy19

Reaction score
“You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches.” Probably no one cares that one person disagrees with the major automotive press (who have been critical of previous generation Expy/Navi models.) It’s more just finding it odd that the OP would post a so-so review of a car he rented to an enthusiast site. That wouldn’t make me feel good about myself, but then again everyone’s entitled to their opinion.