2018 Expedition Max rental

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpy19

Reaction score
I like the previous generation Expedition and if someone got a great deal on that I think it makes sense to go that direction. I haven’t even comitted to buy a 4th gen yet, so a I don’t want to appear to defensive. I just think going on an enthusist site to say their car isn’t that great is bad karma. I had a 2011 Yukon Denali and I didn’t really like that vehicle. Maybe I’ll head on over to the GMC Yukon forum and let them know that their SUV’s are just average (ha.)

Secondly, the 4th gen has received rave reviews, so to say it isn’t that nice is probably being disingenuous.

OP
OP
metaldrgn

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the previous generation Expedition and if someone got a great deal on that I think it makes sense to go that direction. I haven’t even comitted to buy a 4th gen yet, so a I don’t want to appear to defensive. I just think going on an enthusist site to say their car isn’t that great is bad karma. I had a 2011 Yukon Denali and I didn’t really like that vehicle. Maybe I’ll head on over to the GMC Yukon forum and let them know that their SUV’s are just average (ha.)

Secondly, the 4th gen has received rave reviews, so to say it isn’t that nice is probably being disingenuous.
I like the previous generation Expeditions as well, but I know they could have done a lot better (and really the 3rd gen to a good extent) and this last one just isn't cutting it for me. Well if you look at the "joined date" and or posts I've made you can see I didn't just join the site to post a review... Details are important. I see you only joined a few months ago which is probably why you haven't seen me post. Anyhow I have talked about this Expedition in the past and now I have had hands on experience. I've also expressed my dislike of the Tahoe/Yukon line on their respective forums when they changed it this last time as well. I am not brand loyal. I buy what I like not what other people say is better or "the best".

Just because something gets a good review doesn't mean everyone is going to view it that way. Just look at Rotten Tomatoes reviews.

Last edited:

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score

It has received great review yes, but also note most every single review states it's priced at a level where euros often dominate and doesn't really quite seem to capture that price level shoppers interest.

As I have said numerous times, it's time for Ford to rebrand itself to something much "sexier".

There's a reason you won't find a single blue oval on the Mustangs......

On the other hand I also find the Alumiduty trucks (real trucks, not the Northerns version of "trucks" which are really SUVs) to be some of the worst designs I've seen since the 80's car crisis.

OP
OP
metaldrgn

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but you said "Even money aside there are many other vehicles I would rather have"
By that I mean there are other vehicles I like more, but without going in depth to find out if there are any deal breakers in them. So I guess just some of the ones I would like more would be the Toyota Sequoia, Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3rd gen Expedition, 3rd gen Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade (Tahoe>Escalade>Yukon), maybe the Jeep Cherokee. There are probably some I'm missing, but I think that's enough.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t give an
It has received great review yes, but also note most every single review states it's priced at a level where euros often dominate and doesn't really quite seem to capture that price level shoppers interest.

As I have said numerous times, it's time for Ford to rebrand itself to something much "sexier".

There's a reason you won't find a single blue oval on the Mustangs......

On the other hand I also find the Alumiduty trucks (real trucks, not the Northerns version of "trucks" which are really SUVs) to be some of the worst designs I've seen since the 80's car crisis.

Ford is in the process of what you call rebranding. They are trying to be more luxury and high price point and as you said competing with euros (only on large vehicles). Thing is full size SUVs are an American staple not euro. They are targeting them as luxury vehicles not trucks. I think Ford has lost their identity in the midst of this and has pushed the envelope far. It’s $84,000 for a fully loaded expy, mind you just 4 (yes 4) years ago it was about $54,000 for a fully loaded expy. Ford is hurting right now and stock is at its lowest in decades, we will see what changes they make. You can only push the envelope so far, the full size SUV was always a value truck based vehicle for working people and families. There comes a point where you push those customers away, and they are on that verge as we’ve seen sales declining.

I have a family member who bought F-350 King Ranch diesel trucks every few years. Fully loaded. This last go around a few months ago, Ford was $14,000 more than a GMC Denali all said and done. He is very well off. Even when he could afford it, he left ford. Simply because the value wasn’t there and it no longer made sense.

Last edited:

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
I don’t give an

Ford is in the process of what you call rebranding. They are trying to be more luxury and high price point and as you said competing with euros (only on large vehicles). Thing is full size SUVs are an American staple not euro. They are targeting them as luxury vehicles not trucks. I think Ford has lost their identity in the midst of this and has pushed the envelope far. It’s $84,000 for a fully loaded expy, mind you just 4 (yes 4) years ago it was about $54,000 for a fully loaded expy. Ford is hurting right now and stock is at its lowest in decades, we will see what changes they make. You can only push the envelope so far, the full size SUV was always a value truck based vehicle for working people and families. There comes a point where you push those customers away, and they are on that verge as we’ve seen sales declining.

I have a family member who bought F-350 King Ranch diesel trucks every few years. Fully loaded. This last go around a few months ago, Ford was $14,000 more than a GMC Denali all said and done. He is very well off. Even when he could afford it, he left ford. Simply because the value wasn’t there and it no longer made sense.

Good friend of mine once said, ask yourself what's a car really worth when a dealership is willing to take $10k off just to make a sale.

From a value stand point, the raptors are a joke and the superdutys are no longer trucks.... they're Barbie and Kens grocery getter that will last 120k miles if they're lucky. There's a guy with a plat F450 alumiduty near me, and he was so proud of his $100k turd he custom plated it to "plat450".... really original amigo!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good friend of mine once said, ask yourself what's a car really worth when a dealership is willing to take $10k off just to make a sale.

From a value stand point, the raptors are a joke and the superdutys are no longer trucks.... they're Barbie and Kens grocery getter that will last 120k miles if they're lucky. There's a guy with a plat F450 alumiduty near me, and he was so proud of his $100k turd he custom plated it to "plat450".... really original amigo!

What’s sad is they target these vehicles to people who don’t use them for the intended purpose. An F-350 or 450 should be a competitively priced work truck, even if it’s a KR. That plate is pretty funny, and odd. An F-450 Limited? Seriously? Shouldn’t even exist. All I know is ford has really pushed the envelope, and is losing bread and butter loyal customers. Hope they can make enough on those $84,000 expys to cover the continuing loss in overall sales. They aren’t Range Rover after all.

Last edited:

Flexpy19

Reaction score
I just joined this forum because I’m looking to potentially purchase a new family hauler and after cross shopping the Expedition 4th gen is the best I have found. The proof that not everyone agrees with me is that GM is still selling a ton of their full size SUV’s, even with an imiment refresh. We all know about opinions...

One of the complaints of Ford appears to be the price point of the Expedition. Although everyone seems fixated on the Platininun and Limited’s pricing, Ford also offers a very nice XLT that is quite competitively priced. Someone asked why i don’t just by a Navi for just a slight bump above the Platinum. I personally like to go a little under the radar. I would argue that if you have $80k to spend on an SUV, the Ford optioned up is an incredible deal for a large family.

If I didn’t like an Expedition 4th Generation, I probably wouldn’t spend time on their forum. I own a Tesla and it amazes me how many people who have never even driven that car bash it on the TMC forum. Speaking of going under the radar, it is hard to do in the Tesl and I can’t wait until Ford or GM fully commits to electric. In the meanwhile, I don’t go on the Chevy Volt forum to tell them their car sucks.

Andy C

Reaction score
I just joined this forum because I’m looking to potentially purchase a new family hauler and after cross shopping the Expedition 4th gen is the best I have found. The proof that not everyone agrees with me is that GM is still selling a ton of their full size SUV’s, even with an imiment refresh. We all know about opinions...

One of the complaints of Ford appears to be the price point of the Expedition. Although everyone seems fixated on the Platininun and Limited’s pricing, Ford also offers a very nice XLT that is quite competitively priced. Someone asked why i don’t just by a Navi for just a slight bump above the Platinum. I personally like to go a little under the radar. I would argue that if you have $80k to spend on an SUV, the Ford optioned up is an incredible deal for a large family.

If I didn’t like an Expedition 4th Generation, I probably wouldn’t spend time on their forum. I own a Tesla and it amazes me how many people who have never even driven that car bash it on the TMC forum. Speaking of going under the radar, it is hard to do in the Tesl and I can’t wait until Ford or GM fully commits to electric. In the meanwhile, I don’t go on the Chevy Volt forum to tell them their car sucks.

You and I share the same view in this vehicle. Best full size suv from family hauler, offers most flexibility and space for all passengers on board. We are looking at limited with 302a package, and couldn’t jump to Navi for another 20k. Just bit too much. Espy has everything that our family is looking for and looking forward to signing off my life away for next 60 months lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score

Tesla X P100d is on the list of cars I'd like to beat on.

The 4th Gen Expy is nice. We like our "special edition" turned 302A Limited with all the fluff and frills, BUT the limited is where I drew the line. The Platniums leather is not young kid friendly, nor do I have the time to micro manage my wife's car anyways.

It has a few mechanical hiccups, nothing that Ford won' address in time.

I opted personally to just lease ours as I DID NOT see long term investment sense, especially seeing the MASSIVE hit the 2017 owners took with only 20k on the ticker. Nearly half the vehicle value went up in smoke.

It's easier to justify a buyout early IF in a year or 2 the EXPY it stays strong value wise, and a reliable vehicle. My faith in the 10R80 trans still isn't there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus