2018 Expedition Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate those spill proof gas cans. I do spill more with them. I switched to a battery powered pump to put gas in my lawn mower. Is having to buy and use a battery powered device to save on spilling gas more environmentally friendly?

Everytime I think about the auto start/stop feature, It makes me wonder if we really own our vehicles? Why can't we ask for it to removed before purchase or get a model without it? I guess it's going the way of home ownership. Do you really own it when you can't make the changes you want without government permission?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate those spill proof gas cans. I do spill more with them. I switched to a battery powered pump to put gas in my lawn mower. Is having to buy and use a battery powered device to save on spilling gas more environmentally friendly?

Everytime I think about the auto start/stop feature, It makes me wonder if we really own our vehicles? Why can't we ask for it to removed before purchase or get a model without it? I guess it's going the way of home ownership. Do you really own it when you can't make the changes you want without government permission?

It’s the way of the world, they don’t want us to own anything anymore. Private ownership is being eroded at hard across the board. The government wants its hands in everything.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wonder what it will come to. I guess they don’t have their hands too much on my boat, laws are old fashioned on that and you can alter if you want since no emissions. In NY you can’t do anything to an auto legally lol.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ummm...y'all know the government didn't install your auto-start right?

This seems like the same argument I hear when a private company fires someone for saying something or posting something and everyone hollers about the 1st amendment. That's a private company limiting speech...which they have the right to do.

Ford chose to add this feature, not the government. And of course you can remove that feature after you buy it through the eliminator or the button Ford has put on the dash for you. But Ford has made the decision that it won't allow the vehicle to be sold without it. And really, you can remove any feature or alter a vehicle in absolutely any way you want. You can take all the body panels off and ride on a bare chassis if that's what blows your skirt up. You'll have to do it on your own property, of course, because the ability to have a drivers license and register a vehicle to drive on public roads around other people is a privilege not a right, but it's your car so you can modify it in any way you want.

Sure, I would prefer a few less nannies, but if one of those nannies saves my life (or the life of my family) just once, it was worth it. And yeah, the auto start-stop is annoying, but you get used to it and its introduction across the globe, together with other efficiency gains, has decreased fuel consumption. Does it increase wear and tear on the starter and the battery? Maybe, but manufacturers know this and have built more robust starters and batteries to account for it.

So let's put our tinfoil hats away here. Ford wants to make vehicles that have a certain power and weight. So they have to make some decisions to comply with CAFE standards. That's not the government's doing, that's Ford's. If Ford wanted to put 3cyl engines in all their vehicles they wouldn't have to have the auto-start to bring their fleet into compliance.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You can buy the replacement nozzles for those gas cans that are NON government, so they drain like an old can, and you drill a hole for a vent and they work great. I converted all of mine...

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford may have decided to install the auto start/ stop and not make it original, but the demands and requirements of governmental fuel efficiencies drive the bus on getting to this point. Just like all the factory standard smog crap. A few decades ago, people got pissed about the worse performance but the parts were standard equipment because of government demands against manufacturers. Now, we accept it without hesitation.
All of the BS with the government is related to the core issue of people being selfish, greedy, lazy, all rolled into one. The worst offenders have worked their way into government positions.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the demands and requirements of governmental fuel efficiencies drive the bus on getting to this point
I agree with this, my point was that Ford has made certain decisions to comply with the government demands and requirements. So the design of the vehicle (and what is included or not included) is ultimately the choice of the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many of you Expedition owners considered a Suburban or Yukon? What were the primary reasons for choosing the Ford? We just looked at a 2015 LTZ in Metallic Brown w/Cocoa interior - very nice. It had the captain 2nd row seats however and we don't want that configuration in whichever SUV we get. Man I'll tell you, there are so many little pros/cons to each that it makes the decision challenging. I guess that is a good thing unless you're a details, get into the weeds guy like myself.

Regarding the "auto stop/start" feature, I did first experience that test driving a 2018 F150. It wasn't that noticeable, but it is nice that the dash mounted defeat button is available (at least for now). That dosen't bother me as much as the RTP feature. The OEM manual (shown above) describes its operation as something I could live with and that makes sense from a designed not to cause damage perspective. But some are saying it actually does not work that way. :shrug: I guess the only way to know for certain is to test one at a dealer before I write a check.

Another question I have for the 2018 owners is how the 10 speed transmission is working? I've heard reports of users saying it often seems to be searching for gears. Is this only in certain drive modes (i.e. tow/haul)? And for those who have 4WD, how has that been performing?

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many of you Expedition owners considered a Suburban or Yukon? What were the primary reasons for choosing the Ford? We just looked at a 2015 LTZ in Metallic Brown w/Cocoa interior - very nice. It had the captain 2nd row seats however and we don't want that configuration in whichever SUV we get. Man I'll tell you, there are so many little pros/cons to each that it makes the decision challenging. I guess that is a good thing unless you're a details, get into the weeds guy like myself.

Regarding the "auto stop/start" feature, I did first experience that test driving a 2018 F150. It wasn't that noticeable, but it is nice that the dash mounted defeat button is available (at least for now). That dosen't bother me as much as the RTP feature. The OEM manual (shown above) describes its operation as something I could live with and that makes sense from a designed not to cause damage perspective. But some are saying it actually does not work that way. :shrug: I guess the only way to know for certain is to test one at a dealer before I write a check.

Another question I have for the 2018 owners is how the 10 speed transmission is working? I've heard reports of users saying it often seems to be searching for gears. Is this only in certain drive modes (i.e. tow/haul)? And for those who have 4WD, how has that been performing?

We just actually went thru this and are awaiting our Expedition to be transported from a few states over.

That being said (besides any brand bias), we went with the Expedition for the greater towing capacity, tilt and slide seats (I've got 5 kiddos), and more updated interior and features. I will say tho, not having much of a used market makes the Chevy an easier pick to those looking for used. I test drove a Yukon a few months back and just wan't too impressed... plus the back row was much more snug. They are both good looking vehicles tho.

I think if the 2020 Chevy models brought a redesign, it may have threw a curveball, but since they didn't, it seemed like an easy choice for our needs... plus I'm a blue oval guy =)

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We just actually went thru this and are awaiting our Expedition to be transported from a few states over.

Congratulations! Did you go see the car and opt to have it shipped? I'm not sure I could buy w/o test driving. From a reputable dealer, and having vetted all I could via email and phone, I would be willing to make a long trip (drive w/wife or fly myself) to buy. We don't have lots of inventory around us and what is here is usually higher mileage.